Help with the JVC GR-C1 aka "MartyCam"

rjnicko

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, hope I am posting on the right section of the forums.

Anyways my JVC GR C1E arrived last night overall condition is good and comes with a good amount of accessories. It's the camcorder which doc Brown owned in Back To The Future Part 1.

However, although I know the batteries are pretty much shot one said it was fully charged after about 40 minutes on the JVC charger. (I have bought the optional JVC AC power supply accessory and a new battery for it, these should arrive next week) It did power the camera on for about 30-40 seconds. I powered it on, it allowed me to eject and inserted a VHS-C cassette, the black & white CRT in the viewfinder came on, even the zoom worked for a brief moment, but all I got was a grey screen in the viewfinder no live image ever appeared. Is it possible that it didn't have enough power in its battery to fully power the camera tube and make an image? it was only on for about 30 seconds before the battery died And shut off.

The thing what has me a little concerned is when pressing the Iris lock button above the lens is that it just pushes back out and will not stay pushed in, I was just worried that the iris inside the lens was jammed fully in a position closed not letting in any light.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
I don't know this model but have owned JVC VHS-c - batteries were always a big issue then, as NiCd don't store much charge and the mechanicals are greedy. It's difficult to advise, but maybe give the new battery a little longer on charge - the charging-time should be easy to work out reading the charger details (etc.). The danger with batteries is they go high-impedance (lead-acid particularly prone) and this prevents taking a full charge. The voltage rises quickly, giving a false "charged" signal.
The camcorder stops when the supply isn't up to spec - but you may be able to power it externally - through some funny power-jack.... once sourced then you should be free of the Battery problem, but it won't be useful as an outdoor camcorder.
There are many places where a fault could lie - but getting an existing tape to play may be easier - but you will need the VHS-VHS-C adaptor to check stuff on a full-size VHS machine. From memory these can't record onto VHS-C, even using the adaptor.
VHS is now regarded as Old Tech (being Analogue), - and whilst SVHS is better, it's no match for basic camcorders using SDHC cards and an HD-sensor.

I don't know this model but have owned JVC VHS-c - batteries were always a big issue then, as NiCd don't store much charge and the mechanicals are greedy. It's difficult to advise, but maybe give the new battery a little longer on charge - the charging-time should be easy to work out reading the charger details (etc.). The danger with batteries is they go high-impedance (lead-acid particularly prone) and this prevents taking a full charge. The voltage rises quickly, giving a false "charged" signal.
The camcorder stops when the supply isn't up to spec - but you may be able to power it externally - through some funny power-jack.... once sourced then you should be free of the Battery problem, but it won't be useful as an outdoor camcorder.
There are many places where a fault could lie - but getting an existing tape to play may be easier - but you will need the VHS-VHS-C adaptor to check stuff on a full-size VHS machine. From memory these can't record onto VHS-C, even using the adaptor.
VHS is now regarded as Old Tech (being Analogue), - and whilst SVHS is better, it's no match for basic camcorders using SDHC cards and an HD-sensor.

When I say i've bought a new battery it still has not yet arrived, should be tomorrow. So I'm using two batteries that it came with which I'm assuming are the 1984 originals. The first one is a very thin one, and is totally dead, the battery charger doesn't even detect it. The larger one charges for about 40 minutes and then stops indicating thats its full, which is much too short for a recharge time, says it can take 7 hours apparently. This does power the camera for basic functions though, i.e viewfinder, lens zoom, and tape eject, just won't show an image on the viewfinder.

I have just bought the JVC AC Power adaptor for the camera to power it externally hard to find to be honest. which again should arrive some time next week.

The GR C1 does record on to VHS-C tape thats what it is a VHS-C camcorder, the very first of its kind infact

I know its old tech, I'm a collector of vintage pieces, but I want it working, with it being firstly a very rare camera. They still sell on eBay for several hundred dollars simply because of the Back to the Future tie into the product.

My main camera is a Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition, which shoots in 2.7 and 4K resolutions and also my Nikon DSLR, this is not gonna be a main camera, but something just to have a toy about with.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom