Quantcast

Help with Teac PD-H300 CD player - Am I being told porkies?

GreigHawke

Novice Member
Hello, this is my first question on this forum and I hope I'm posting it in the right place!

To cut a VERY long story short, I took a Teac PD-H300 CD player for repair back in December as it was having trouble reading dics and being very selective about which discs it played. I see from other posts here that this is a fairly common fault of the unit.

The engineer told me it needed a new laser assembly and charged me £120 (which I thought was steep but duly paid). Upon getting the unit home, the exact same problem was apparent so I took it back. After much back and forth with the engineer, he has replaced with yet another laser assembly and has noted the same problem is occurring.

He has recently advised: "it has been noted that a Flat Pin RF Cable has to be replaced in conjunction with Laser Pick Up Device"

This was after telling me that a ribbon cable was required. Does this sound credible or is he just feeding me nonsense? It should be noted that this engineer has been very slippery with me over the past 10 weeks (!) and is flat-out refusing to refund me which is why I'm suspicious.

Hope someone can help and I would genuinely appreciate any feedback at all on this! If you need any more info just let me know.

gibbsy

Has he offered you any warranty on the repair. If so he has a duty to replace and correctly replace the parts needed. Is the unit still under a Teac warranty but even so with a known issue and depending on the age of the player there may still be an obligation on Teac to repair. I would certainly get in touch with Teac and ask for guidance.

gibbsy

I've just looked in flea bay and you can buy used players for around the £60 mark. It's not an economic repair and perhaps you should have been advised as such. Ask for a refund and put that money towards a new player.

GreigHawke

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice Gibbsy. I'm trying to get a refund but the engineer is refusing point-blank, so I'm currently logging this with trading standards to demand a refund from him.

Does his advice that "a Flat Pin RF Cable has to be replaced in conjunction with Laser Pick Up Device" seem credible? Does this sound technically accurate? I'm trying to arm myself with as much technical advice on this as possible before confronting him to demand a refund for the work. He has had my CD player (and my money) for going on 10 weeks now.

gibbsy

I'm not qualified to say but the guy should have given you some indication of cost. I recently had a sub repaired and the repairer wanted a fixed fee to look at it and give an estimate which is fair enough. Luckily it was a simple relay and he did the repair within that estimate. Had it been much more at least I had the option of buying new. I've linked to the unit's service manual below and leave it up to you to do some detective work to see if a flat pin cable is even mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have the time.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Many CDP's used such cables, and since they have to flex can indeed break through mechanical wer and tear. My previous Philips CD 960 player ended up being discarded because the cost of replacing a broken cable made it uneconomical to repair (Philips no longer supplied replacement cables).That said, some sites are asking nearly €1K, making me wonder if my decision was right.

In your case though, the question is not really about the technical aspects, but about the quality of service you have received. A quality technician would have guaranteed his first repair and taken responsibility for his initial failure to determine the cause. I suggest you contact whatever offical support is available in your location for dealing with such consumer disputes.