1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Tannoy Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by F G Evans, Jan 13, 2005.

1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of setting up the sub woofer i had with my Tannoy 5.1 fx speaker set.

It states to connect the subwoofer with a RCA cable to either the left (red input ) or the right (white input).

Am i right in thinking that a RCA cable is just a normal audio red & white cable ie one which is used to connect a dvd players audio or Tv audion to an amplifier or is it different.

Also soes it make a difference as to whether i use the left or right connection.

Also what benefits does connecting in this manner have over connecting by ordinary speaker cable (which is also an option with this subwoofer).

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can use a standard RCA cable. There are the usual pro-cables (inc Designed specifically for subwoofer) but a good RCA cable will do.

Not sure of the advantages of a good RCA against a good length of speaker cable....Less chance of shorting (practical advantage)

I think the reason you can use left or right is because the very low frequencies are non directional -ie both channels are fed much the same signal. I think Left is the default if possible.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.