Help with Surround speaker package choice

lickquid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m in a quandary
I have £400 to spend on a set of 5.1 surround speakers.
I’m not sure on which ones to go for.
I’m looking for a set that will be good for music and movies.
They will be connected to my Onkyo TX NR609 av

The choices i have are as follows

Tannoy HTS101
Canton movie 125 mx
Wharfedale DX-1 HCP
KEF KHT1505

Any advice much appreciated

I was in the same place as you a couple weeks back, I was torn between the mordant short alumini, wharfdale set you said, the q aucoustics 2000 system, and the tannoy hts100, after listening to them all on a 609 I went with the tannoy.... The qa set was a close or equal first, but the fact the tannoy had wall mounts etc with it and I preferred the look of them.... I went with those.... I have them mounted on the wall but not wired in and not connected to amp as I'm not allowed them till Xmas :-/

The Q Accoustics do get rave reviews for the price band they're in.

Thanks Guys, I find the qa's a bit too big for my room hence the smaller packages,

Just wondered out of the 4 listed if anyone had any comments on those for performance?

I looked at the Tannoys and they are nice but was told by Richer sounds that the KEF were slightly better. was thinking that that was a sales pitch to get me to pay more money.

I went to a richersounds to demo them, the guy who was helping me agreed that the tannoys sounded better the kefs etc sounded a bit numb when compared, to the others, tannoys were more alive and bright

What amp were you running the speakers from? tannoys get good reviews all thats putting me off is the style...saying that i might bite the bullit!

Onkyo 609

I was unsure of the look too but they look good now mounted, can grab you a photo if you like??

You really need better speakers than the Tannoy SFX to get the best from the 609. The Q Accoustics 2000 AV package is about the minimum I would get with that amp
My brother in law has the Boston Accoustics Soundware speakers (better than the Tannoys) and even then they sound like they are holding the amp back.
I take it you mean the QAs are too big from a visual perspective and not for an audio perspective? If you have to go for small speakers have you considered the Monitor Audio Radius range (could get the front 3 to start and then add the other speakers later) or look higher up the Kef range to the 2005 or new T series.

Thanks for the reply, the Tannoys are the HTS101 not the SFX, the QA'S are in size too big for me, I looked at the Bostons and decided they to avoid even though the reviews are good.

Looking at the Monitor Audio they maybe a tad out of my price range..

I'm impressed with the tannoys is all im going to say sounded amazing when I demo'd them did the same scene on Kung fu panda 2 and sounded great :)

Music I listen to is rnb, hip hop, garage and it all sounded really really good tommy ears anyway....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom