• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help with surround sound

invisible_kid

Standard Member
i was wondering if you connect say a 360 and hd sat box via hdmi to your tv then optical from your tv to your receiver would that give you surround sound on both the 360 and hd sat box. i say this cause i have 1 optical input on my surround sound. i know you always try to plug the optical cable directly from source to receiver but does this give you any benefits if what i say above works,

i take it my other option is a toslink splitter

thanks for help

dante01

Distinguished Member
i was wondering if you connect say a 360 and hd sat box via hdmi to your tv then optical from your tv to your receiver would that give you surround sound on both the 360 and hd sat box. i say this cause i have 1 optical input on my surround sound. i know you always try to plug the optical cable directly from source to receiver but does this give you any benefits if what i say above works,

i take it my other option is a toslink splitter

thanks for help

If the TV has Dolby Digital abilities then you can pass multichannel audio through it to an AV amp. Not all TVs with an optical audio output have DD abilities and those that don't will simply downmix all audio output to 2 channel stereo. Others will not accept multichannel audio at all and you'd get no audio output from either the TV's speakers or the audio output to the amp.

It all depends on your TV and the type of audio formats you want to use.

If the TV has Dolby Digital abilities then you can pass multichannel audio through it to an AV amp. Not all TVs with an optical audio output have DD abilities and those that don't will simply downmix all audio output to 2 channel stereo. Others will not accept multichannel audio at all and you'd get no audio output from either the TV's speakers or the audio output to the amp.

It all depends on your TV and the type of audio formats you want to use.

I can't attest to its accuracy but I did read in the LCD Forum that apparently the current Sony W range (possibly other current Sony models) output DD5.1 via optical from all HDMI inputs.

I guess in this instance there only one way to find out.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can't attest to its accuracy but I did read in the LCD Forum that apparently the current Sony W range (possibly other current Sony models) output DD5.1 via optical from all HDMI inputs.

I guess in this instance there only one way to find out.

The V series definitely does because I've got one. If the V series does then the more expensive W and higher up models will too ;)

The V series definitely does because I've got one. If the V series does then the more expensive W and higher up models will too ;)

Thanks, I will add it to my font of knowledge now you have confirmed it.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom