Help with surround placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by iamholam, Mar 8, 2006.

1. iamholam

iamholam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there

I need help with some surround speaker placement and have drawn a diagram of how I see it would best be placed.

Ideally I would get rid of the fireplace and then move the TV there for a centre viewing position but that is currently not an option.

If anyone has any comments I would be grateful.

[​IMG]

2. iamholam

iamholam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    bump?

Anyone have an opinion? I know it's not the best but I would like to make best use of space I have.

Also I just got a set of Mission FS1 nxt speakers which I here have a better sound distribution than normal speakers so I may have a few more liberties in my bad sound placement.

Ideally for the rears I would like them just to be flat on the wall but would I gain much from having them at least pointing at each other as oppose to facing different directions?

3. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I have had a couple of looks at your plan and cant see an easy answer ,I am assuming your main position is another sofa if it was me in your situation I would just pull the main sofa round so as it runs parallel with the tv and possibly move the rear right speaker back into the left hand corner.
    I know its not ideal but its the best I can think of and still maintain descent speaker placement .
    You can always move the main sofa back to the wall when not using your surrond system.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Martin.

4. iamholam

iamholam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply!

Looks like i may have to try and persuade the other half to get rid of the fireplace afterall!

Anyone else have any suggestions? I think moving the main sofa would be possible just for watching films but I would prefer not to.

Would the sound stage be good atall?

5. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    If you put the tv on the wall where the fireplace is and your surrounds on the opposite wall again you would need to pull your sofa forward for optimum rear surround placement, most people recommend a minimum of a foot behind your listening position.

Regards Martin.

6. iamholam

iamholam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On looking again at the room I'm thinking of moving the tv slightly further onto the wall where the fireplace is (but still leave it in the corner) and then position my rear surrounds in the back corners of the wall facing into the main sofa. I also have a rear speaker which will probably go straight behind the seat.

going to play about with it for a bit i think and hope to get a decent sound this way!