Help with Subwoofer and Ohms setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mr B 85, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

So I've got my setup now - 2 pairs of Q Acoustics 3010's, the 3090 centre, Yamaha 677, REL T5 Subwoofer and Atacama Moseco 6 and 7 for front and rears.

Firstly everything to me at least sounds great. I did the YPAO setup and the distance levels were pretty much spot on, but any distance/volume level variables from speakers which should be the same distance apart, I just slightly moved it until roughly the 5th go and everything seemed to be in line. 0 for fronts, -2 centre and -3.5 for surround. The Subwoofer at the time I've since changed but it put it to -6, I then changed that to 0 again and handled everything from the Subwoofers volume level.

Question I now have is I've moved onto the REL T5 and it's a whole league apart from the Q Acoustic sub I had before, but I have some strange, albeit probably daft though that I'm going to over power it. Am I right to set the AV Receiver Subwoofer level to 0 or should I let YPAO take control on it? I've only got the Subwoofer maybe a 3rd of the way round or less for music, then films I've had it just over half. AV Reciever is maximum set at about -26, which is loud enough without making the neighbours knock on the door, even then I think they're being polite.

The other question is setting OHMS level. I've left it at the default 8, but the speakers all handle 6. I've not found it lacking, but like above I have neighbours and it's a semi detached so I'm not screaming to get it much louder, so is there any reason to change it or should I just leave it?

Probably stupid questions, but rather safe than sorry.

Cheers

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    On the sub front I would leave the dial at the back of the sub around 1/3rd and then let YPAO do the adjustment so it is set up correctly. What crossover are the speakers set too? I assume you have set all the speakers to small.
    On the ohms front, just leave it to 8 ohms. The 6 ohm switch does nothing that careful use of the volume control does not do. However, it can reduce sound quality so the general advice is alway leave it switched to 8 ohms.

3. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You always think you've said everything... It's set at 80Hz, which is both what I had set manual before doing YPAO and what it picked as well. I'll let YPAO do the adjustment then, I just read on a thread somewhere that YPAO tends to get sub levels wrong.

Will leave it at 8 Ohms then, makes sense to me!

I'm assuming I'm ok cranking it up a bit when watching a good action film? I don't mean to the top, but a shy over half way? :p

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    As long as the sound is clear with no distortion then you are fine at a higher volume.
    Try the YPAO and see how it sounds. If the bass is too much or too little then tweak it a bit. You should not have to change your sub settings for different uses i.e. music or movies. Once set correctly you should be able to leave it alone.

5. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for responses. I guess myself with Music I like to have it the way it should be, picking up the low frequencies, but not over powering. I picked the 3010's knowing that the subwoofer would pick up where it was slightly lacking.

For films though, I like to hear a nice bit of rattle now and then, so I'll just make sure I don't go stupid with it. I get the feeling reading posts on here about how people find some subs lacking that they crank them a lot harder than I would even dare, so just making sure really!