Help with spec's and decison

joneseyone

Novice Member
Hi,

We replace our TV probably every 12 years :)

I am looking to get a 49 inch Sony. I have narrowed it down to these 4 modules.

49XH9505BU - £999
49XH9196BU - £899
49XH8196BU - £799
49XH8096BU - £699

I have looked the difference in specs but would someone be able to summarise the real life difference with these sets please.

I have read you shouldn't buy the top of the range sets and should go for the the generation before to get best value? Is this true?

Thanks
Paul

Morden

Distinguished Member
Hi,

We replace our TV probably every 12 years :)

I am looking to get a 49 inch Sony. I have narrowed it down to these 4 modules.

49XH9505BU - £999
49XH9196BU - £899
49XH8196BU - £799
49XH8096BU - £699

I have looked the difference in specs but would someone be able to summarise the real life difference with these sets please.

I have read you shouldn't buy the top of the range sets and should go for the the generation before to get best value? Is this true?

Thanks
Paul

The xh95 model is head and shoulders above the others, I wouldnt consider the other models in your list.
It offers proper hdr capabilities , better colours and full array local dimming.
The generation before the XH is the XG
The XG 9505 is mostly sold out now, unless your going for a 75 inch

There wasn't an 49XG9505, but there was a 49 XG9005 which whilst model below still offers full array local dimming and decent hdr.

For xh you might be better waiting for black friday deals.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You can get a 55XG9505 for the same price (£999) still new from a few retailers.

Or you can get a refurb from Sony Centre with a 5 yr warranty for ~£780 (new stock seems to come in on a Friday)

I've had a couple of refurbs from them and one was sold and returned under distance selling regs, the other had a scruffy box, the TVs were as good as new.

Morden

Distinguished Member
You can get a 55XG9505 for the same price (£999) still new from a few retailers.

Or you can get a refurb from Sony Centre with a 5 yr warranty for ~£780 (new stock seems to come in on a Friday)

I've had a couple of refurbs from them and one was sold and returned under distance selling regs, the other had a scruffy box, the TVs were as good as new.

I recently bought sa9r rear speakers for z9f from centres direct I have and yes, shrink wrap was still on the speakers, i doubt the speakers had been used.

Palexr

I recently bought sa9r rear speakers for z9f from centres direct I have and yes, shrink wrap was still on the speakers, i doubt the speakers had been used.
Same here, £75 instead of £250 and they are perfect, packaging was untouched as far as I could tell.

Moral of the post, don't discount refurbs.

joneseyone

Novice Member
Thanks everyone that's really helped me out.

I'll hang on and go for the top one when a deal appears. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom