1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with speaker wiring please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BarryK, Dec 10, 2001.

1. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently purchased a denon 3802 and am currently using my 5 kenwood speakers from my kenwood pro-logic stacking hi-fi unit. The problem is though that my kenwood unit is built up of seperates and connected together using a ribbon cable system. This means that I cannot connect my C.D. player, tape decks etc to the 3802.
    At the moment though I do not wish to buy a new C.D. player, tape deck etc. but want to run both systems alongside each other using the same set of speakers.
    What is the best way to achieve this?
    Is it possible to just link the speaker cables from the posts on the back of the 3802 to the speaker outputs on my kenwood amp, or will this do damage?
    Do I need a switch to change between them depending upon which one I`m using?
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Barry

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Connect the speakers to your new amp and use phono cables to connect the CD and tape deck to the Denon.

You will need to switch on the stacker for power but it won't damage it having no speakers connected and all of the sources will be output through the Denon.

I did this for a while quite successfully

3. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But I am unable to do this, because the C.D. player, Tape deck are only connected up using the ribbon cable. There are no phono outputs on the back of the units.
    Any ideas please?

Barry

4. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HAVE you got phono out on your kenwood amp unit what ever do not connect your speaker to both amps at the same time ....

5. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No phono outs on the back of the kenwood amp. Is my only option now to have a manual switch for my 5 speakers to select either the 3802 or the kenwood? And if so, any suggestions as to kind of switch that could do this for me.

Barry