1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with speaker setup please....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by whoever, Jun 3, 2005.

1. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:
    I currently have the following:

Marantz SR4300 receiver.
    Lecson DVD-900

Mordaunt Short 905C center speaker.
    A pair of Mordaunt Short MS10's for the fronts.
    A pair of bipolar MS's for the rear (cant remember the model, but pre the 903's).
    No sub as I live in a flat and didn't want to annoy the neighbours.

I started by buying the MS 304, but when I got it home it was in graphite rather than the black that I wanted. So after returning the speaker and finding out you couldn't get it in black any more I decided to opt for the 903 instead.

The setup sounds OK but not fantastic. I think my rooms too small and the center is over powering for the rest of the setup. The misses would also like smaller speaker. So what do you think I should do ?
    1. Sell the MS904's and bipolars and get a whole new system like the Kef 2005.2, or Canton CD-1
    2. Try and see if someone will swap a 304 with my 903?
    3. Any other suggestions ???

2. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so I think I'm opting towards a whole matching set of speakers.
    Are the Kef 2005.2's much better than the Canton-CD1's ?
    I prefer the look of the Kef's so I guess I'm trying to justify their cost.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you tried turning the centre speaker down as it may just be too loud compared to the others.

4. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give that a go. Unfortunately its all in the loft at the moment as I'm trying to sell my flat and it was part of the "declutter" session.

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    one speaker should only overpower the others if they don't match tonally or are at the wrong volumes.
    Get an spl meter and you will see a huge difference,I'd wait until it is all set up correctly before you write them off.
    I take it these are bookshelf speakers?
    I have the kef 2005.2 and I would rather bigger speakers that have more clout but they serve their purpose well. However I find you really need to run the eggs loud to get the best out of them so if neighbours are a problem they may not suit.
    If I had the room I would definately go with bigger speakers rather than satelites, but the kids and the wife mean that this probably never going to happen.

6. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the MS10's are bookshelf speakers. Also the TV is in the corner so the left, right and center speakers are all very close together which can't be helping things :(

Thanks for your advice I think I'll wait until I move house and see whether I can get a better size/shape lounge. If I get a big enough lounge (he dreams) I might even be able to swap the book shelf speakers for some floorstanders :D