Help with speaker selection for unavoidable corner location in listening room

psburley

Novice Member
I am looking to my first decent Hifi set up and aiming towards a Music Streamer amp and speakers, possibly from Cambridge Audio.
My room is 2.5m wide and 4.7m long (with substantial amount of glass together with brick walls so can suffer from some echo)
I have no option other than to place speakers in corners (around 2.5m apart) and close to walls (maybe as close as 2-3 inches)
I am aware this is not ideal but have no options.
Recommendation for speakers appreciated including floor v stand mount.
Likely to be paired with Cambridge CXA 61 or 81 amp or similar.
Speaker budget £600-£1000.
New to this appreciate any feedback/recommendations.

Kapkirk

With the Cambridge amp I'd go with a set of Focal Aria 906 with Atacama Moseco 600mm or 500mm (Satin Black stands) They work nicely with the cambridge amps and are ported at the front which will prevent booming from the bass. They have a clear natural tone and the treble is especially smooth and detailed for a metal inverted dome tweeter. A very enjoyable speaker to listen too for hours.

acgingersnaps

If you can bump your budget slightly, ATC SCM11 are sealed and not fussy about placement at all. A friend has his on the floor, tilted upwards and with books tight either side. On top of this he's only powering them with a 40 year old, 45 wpc receiver. They still sound good.
At ear height, with half decent amplification, they'd be sublime.

psburley

Novice Member
Thanks they both look like great speakers. However upon looking up sizes I think they are a little too large I feel I need something around 300/350mm max high and 250mm wide in order to pit one in the space I have as there is a sliding door next to it. I realise its a compromise but hoping I can still get a great set of speakers to match the Cambridge amp(s). In terms of overall height I think 300mm speaker sat on a 500mm stand OR a 800-900 absolute max floor standing.

acgingersnaps

It's a tricky one. Mine would probably work (Neat Motive SX2. ported underneath), but they'd smash the budget. They do a under ported bookshelt too. The SX3. Also, ATC SCM7, or are we suddenly too small?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
An ideal pair of speakers for you.

They are a £1400 active speaker pair of reared talent and have control for exactly your problem.

You’ll be able to adjust the bass, mid and treble to help fix the boundary problems.

I’d then add this to get everything you need. The Yamaha is an excellent dac/streamer/preamp. It also has boundary controls to assist in placement.

And as far as sound quality goes will be impressively superior to the Cambridge and passive speakers.

psburley

Novice Member
An ideal pair of speakers for you.

They are a £1400 active speaker pair of reared talent and have control for exactly your problem.

You’ll be able to adjust the bass, mid and treble to help fix the boundary problems.

I’d then add this to get everything you need. The Yamaha is an excellent dac/streamer/preamp. It also has boundary controls to assist in placement.

And as far as sound quality goes will be impressively superior to the Cambridge and passive speakers.
Thanks for the reply ...interesting but on what basis do you make the comment "And as far as sound quality goes will be impressively superior to the Cambridge and passive speakers"

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A pair of very well made active speakers have several big advantages over a passive set up.

First and is the fact that there is no passive x-over. Therefore less to interfere with phase.

Added to that each speaker pair has four power amplifiers.

One each designed for and dedicated to each individual driver and its frequency range.

Regardless of the varying impedance of each driver, the power amp is built to deal with it precisely.

This translates to excellent speaker control at all volumes. For instance even at tiny midnight volumes the bass is always there in correct proportion, it doesn’t disappear as it often does in passive setups at low volumes.

Also, even at party levels there is no distortion, the control of each driver by its own amp is absolute.

More gains are had in extra detail retrieval, and sounstaging. That direct coupled control of drivers again. And the DSP controlled x-over also much more precisely deals with phase anomalies and slopes than does a passive x-over.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, as with the Dynaudios mentioned, in almost all actives there are usually tilt switches to assist in placement.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, in order to get the very best possible sound for your budget, and especially unfortunate positioning and hard surfaces, it would be very useful to use Dirac Live.

This is the least expensive means of getting it.

The Dynaudios, the DDRC and a Yamaha WXC-50 would be formidable, if it’s within budget.

If you’re only looking to be streaming, and don’t need any other inputs, (though the DDRC also has an optical and a usb input as well as the analogue input) then you could use this instead of the WXC-50 saving £130.

psburley

Novice Member
Ps, in order to get the very best possible sound for your budget, and especially unfortunate positioning and hard surfaces, it would be very useful to use Dirac Live.

This is the least expensive means of getting it.

The Dynaudios, the DDRC and a Yamaha WXC-50 would be formidable, if it’s within budget.

If you’re only looking to be streaming, and don’t need any other inputs, (though the DDRC also has an optical and a usb input as well as the analogue input) then you could use this instead of the WXC-50 saving £130.

thanks for this info I will take a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom