• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with speaker placement please

rossyl

Hi All

I would be grateful for some advice on speaker placement.
I'm hampered between what works and also what aesthetically looks nice (particularly in my wife's opinion!)

The TV cannot go above the fireplace, it would be too high.

So the TV is going in that corner of the room.

The Left and Right are quite likely too close. But it feels like all the sound is coming from where your eyes are focused.

Likewise there's not much distance between the Centre and Left and Right.

The Centre, Left and Right are more at standing height than sitting height.

Surrounds are in the corners of the room either side of the sofa, at ceiling height pointed downwards. So quite high up.

The sub is to the right of the sofa (opposite the TV) I do not get much LFE localisation. And it seems the only place it can actually go.

Some photos that hopefully help.

The diagram is not in any way to scale!

mgXzdbWl.jpg

IMG_20201007_184251.jpg

IMG_20201007_184333~2.jpg

IMG_20201007_190949~2.jpg

Last edited:

sicrates

You sure the telly can’t go above the fireplace? I lived in a house for about five years with the exact same living room (had to do a double take to make sure it wasn’t the same room) with it above the fireplace. It all works much better like that.

rossyl

Sound alike you've got good taste! Haha.

It would give me a neck ache unfortunately, having stare that far upwards. Distance from TV to sofa, and, height of TV unfortunately wouldn't work. If the room was wider it would have.

sicrates

If you lean back on the sofa with your feet out and neck supported it’s fine. We had a 65” In the exact same layout and size of room and it worked fine.

Otherwise I’m not sure!

Kingchin

Hi All

I would be grateful for some advice on speaker placement.
I'm hampered between what works and also what aesthetically looks nice (particularly in my wife's opinion!)

The TV cannot go above the fireplace, it would be too high.

So the TV is going in that corner of the room.

The Left and Right are quite likely too close. But it feels like all the sound is coming from where your eyes are focused.

Likewise there's not much distance between the Centre and Left and Right.

The Centre, Left and Right are more at standing height than sitting height.

Surrounds are in the corners of the room either side of the sofa, at ceiling height pointed downwards. So quite high up.

The sub is to the right of the sofa (opposite the TV) I do not get much LFE localisation. And it seems the only place it can actually go.

Some photos that hopefully help.

The diagram is not in any way to scale!

View attachment 1377750
View attachment 1377751

View attachment 1377756

View attachment 1377767
I would put the front left and right satellites on swivel mounted wall brackets on the left and right wall beside the tv. It would give a more accurate sound and look neat enough for your wife to approve. The centre channel I would remove that box thing it's sitting on, and get a satellite stand that swivels so you can tilt it downwards slightly towards the seating area.

The surrounds the left one is way to far to the left, I would put it just beside the sofa. both surround satellites directly on the wall behind the sofa at head height when you are stood up. Swivel them slightly to see what sounds best. As for the subwoofer that's a tricky one if your wife wants it to stay hidden beside the sofa.

rossyl

Thanks very much.

I think I'll play around with the speaker at the front.

The surrounds are difficult as there are wires at the top corners of the walls.

AmericanRodeo

If you can justify it, ditch the separatesl LCR speakers and look at LCR sound bars that could mount on a pull-out-swivel bracket that the tv woukd be mounted on.

These tend to have a wider dispersion to give a wider sound.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I was thinking about either mounting the FRONT speakers

either side of the fireplace
No! Just no!

Or
either side of the TV
This, or and LCR bar (not that I've ever had one)
If you can justify it, ditch the separatesl LCR speakers and look at LCR sound bars that could mount on a pull-out-swivel bracket that the tv woukd be mounted on.

These tend to have a wider dispersion to give a wider sound.
Are there any that you'd recommend?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Out of interest, why?

As I woukd get more left and right effect as I would be facing the speakers
You wouldn't be facing your speakers, because you'd turn your head to face the tv, so you'd be facing the tv. You'd be getting left sounds way off to your left, and you'd be getting right sounds to your left.

There's no point just having the left and right channels well separated if they're in completely the wrong position.

AmericanRodeo

If you have an AVR, which from the post i think you do, then there are several manufacturers that do passive LCR bars and you just run 3 sets of speaker cables up to the bar.

I have used Monitor Audio, Polk and GoldenEar on projects like yours, but there are also Definitive Technology, Paradigm* & Totem* that I can name off the top of my head

(*need to check uk stock)

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I THINK she's just agreed to mounting a TV above the fireplace!!
Some have more of an issue with looking up that others. My parents have their TV above the fireplace, and I've never heard them complain about it, but I hate having to look up. It just makes me feel uncomfortable. If you do try it up there, I'd aim to have the bottom of the TV as close to the mantel as possible, and ideally try it for a while to see if you can make yourselves comfortable.

AmericanRodeo

Is the fire usable or just a feature?

You can get tv brackets that drop screens down and forward from above a fireplace to infront and a far better view height.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom