Help with speaker package choices

st170dan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am currently in the process of upgrading my home cinema system. I sold my Samsung all-in-one system after buying a HD Sony AV amp from a guy at work (I forget the model number but can check if it's needed). I am looking to get a set of speakers near Xmas time and have been looking on Superfi.co.uk and have a couple of options available to me. I was wondering if you guys could take a look at them and tell me which, if any, are best (in terms of spec and performance) or represent the best value for money. I'm looking to spend approximately £400 - I am not after an amazing set up, just an improvement over my Samsung equipment and the stuff in this price range looks ideal for me. My requirement are for watching blu ray so would like something that gives good HD sound but I also listen to alot of music (this will be my downstairs music system) so something that makes music sound good aswell (I listen to alot of bass heavy metal, lots of crunchy guitars and double bass!).

So my choices are:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9501-q-acoustics-2000-51-home-cinema-speaker-package.aspx

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3146-wha...nema-speaker-system-with-sw150-subwoofer.aspx

It's worth mentioning that I'm after something with book shelf speakers as opposed to small satellite (?) speakers purely because I prefer the visual impact they have in a living room.

Alternatively, if you know of a speaker set that meets my criteria in my price range (or perhaps a touch higher) I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan

I think I would go for either options from Superfi. The Diamond range and QA speakers are some of the best around at this price point and I believe on a fairly good discount making them both a bargain. You will not go far wrong with either to be honest. The other Wharfedale speakers are a little smaller I believe so may not be as good with music (a step up from satelite speakers but not quite as good as a bigger standmount).

I did see the other Wharfedale ones were smaller. Back to the first 2 - reading their spec are they about equal or does one just have the edge? eg the QA sub has 2 drivers - will this be better than the sub on the WD package? Is there a better one in terms of speaker cones ect? As said, I'm leaning towards the WD ones in terms of looks.

As PSM1 mentions, both the Q Acoustic and the Wharfedale Diamond are well regarded. I personally lean slightly toward the Wharfedale because I feel it gives you more room for expansion. You could at some point in the future upgrade the front speakers to Diamond 10.1 or the larger Diamond 10.2 bookshelf speakers, or to anyone of the smaller floostanding models (10.3, 10.4, 10.5).

The Q Acoustic, good as they sound, don't have the bass that the Diamonds do, though for movies the bulk of the bass comes from the Sub. But for music playback, while the Q Acoustic have adequate bass, it is not as good as the Diamonds. But, do keep in mind that you will have a Sub to cover the deep bass.

Again, both these systems are well regarded, and there is some upgrade path in the Q Acoustic. They have three models, the 2010, which are in the package you are looking at, the slightly larger 2020 bookshelf, and the pretty decent 2050 floorstanding models. So, you do have room to expand here as well.

Again, this is really down to personal preference, but I favor the Wharfedale for the increased bass for pure stereo audio playback, and the greater flexibility in future expansion.

Also, keep in mind, what brings the price of the Wharfedale system down it the SW150 subwoofer. This Sub is on deep discount. Here is what the standard Diamond package costs without the discounted Subwoofer -

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Wharfedale Diamond 10 HCP

They are running from £479 to £649, so you are saving a considerable amount.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either system.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks BlueWizard, that's a great help. I may like to upgrade in the future but it's not on the cards atm. The possiblity is nice though. Music playback is very important to me so if the Whafedale's are better for this then I'm immediately more drawn.

I think my mind is made up, thanks chaps :smashin:

What do you have now for speaker and an amp?

My advise, especially if your budget is tight, would be to upgrade in stages. Though it depends on whether you want to upgrade with Front/Sub or Front/Center. Alternately, you could go Front/Rear, it is down to your priorities.

You could get a pair of Diamond 10.1, a decent stereo speaker, and combine it with the Diamond 10.CC Center. That would give you a very nice front end. Use whatever you have, assuming it is appropriate in the rear, and you've got a decent surround system. Upgrade the Sub next, then replace the rears, and you are set. That costs more in the long run, but you get a substantially better system.

Again, the exact path you follow is up to you and your priorities.

Here is one path as an example -

Start here - Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 + SW150 Sub

http://superfi.co.uk/p-3250-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-sw150-subwoofer-21-speaker-package.aspx

Then when you have the money, upgrade the front to Diamond 10.1 and move the Diamond 9.2 to the rear.

http://superfi.co.uk/p-2727-wharfedale-diamond-101-speakers-pair.aspx

Then when you are ready to complete the system, add a Diamond 10.CC Center speaker, or alternately the Diamond 10.CS center -

http://superfi.co.uk/p-2734-wharfedale-diamond-10cc-centre-speaker.aspx

http://superfi.co.uk/p-2735-wharfedale-diamond-10cs-centre-speaker.aspx

Now you have a pretty fantastic system, and no upgrade every cost more than £200; most being in the £150 to £200 range. And the entire time, you have had a fantastic system to listen to.

Of course, this hinges on what you are using of an AV amp. I think you will have a problem if you try to use the amp from an All-In-One system, though it might work. We would have to know specifically which one it is.

But, that does illustrate how to get a very very good system, with very little outlay at any one time.

Steve/bluewizard

I don't currently have any speakers!! I have the AV amp in place ready for when I buy some speakers. The amp is a Sony STR-DG910. I'm quite keen to get a system up and going as I miss watching films in surround sound. I think the Wharfedale system will be good enough for what I want reading your previous post and online reviews. I had the Samsung AIO system which I enjoyed but knew I'd have a better system if I had separates, so I'm really only after an improvement over the Samsung system.

Again, it depends on whether you want it all at once, or if you are willing to build over time. The initial outlay of money is much lower when building over time. The Diamond 9.1 + the SW150 Sub is an outlay of only £230, and just that limited system would sound fantastic.

If Surround is most important, the upgrade the rear next. Get the Diamond 10.1 in front, when you can afford it, and move the Diamond 9.1 to the rear. Again, just that limit system will sound fantastic.

The outlay for the above is £230 + £160 = £390, which is about what you originally intended to spend.

When you are ready, add the Center, for as little as £100 and you now have a complete system for £490; a system that is substantially better than the original systems would were looking at, and only £100 more than you originally intended to spend.

We frequently recommend this build over time method to people who are on a tight budget but ultimately want quality sound. The entire time you will have a very good system to listen to, and in the end, you end up with a better system.

But remember, each time you upgrade, you have to run the Amps SetUp again. The amp has to know what new speakers are there, and balance them into the system. The amp also won't care in the least about missing speakers, as long as it knows the speakers are missing, and SetUp should figure that out easy enough.

With Christmas coming up and additional expenses of winter, you might not be able to afford £400 to £500, but can you afford the £230 necessary to get you started?

Steve/bluewizard

I could do the £400 now but an initial outlay of £230 would be better atm when I think of everything else I have going on. I'll give this some careful consideration, thanks Steve.

I've given this some more thought and I will definately do this in stages. I have a car project going on aswell atm so this will allow me to get that done quicker, whilst still being able to enjoy music downstairs and have a bit more quality with my films. I'm also happy that with the Wharfedale kit I'm getting a good set up for the kind of money I'm looking to spend. So thanks all for the advice.

I've seen on superfi that you can get a pair of 9.1s for £100, would there be any reason in terms of matching speakers with subs why I couldn't get a 2nd set of 9.1s for the rear? They appear to be better speakers than the 10.0s that come in the package I looked at, judging on RRP (crude I know) and what the description says in terms of the cabinet design.

I've seen on superfi that you can get a pair of 9.1s for £100, would there be any reason in terms of matching speakers with subs why I couldn't get a 2nd set of 9.1s for the rear? They appear to be better speakers than the 10.0s that come in the package I looked at, judging on RRP (crude I know) and what the description says in terms of the cabinet design.

That's perfectly fine. Get the 2.1 Diamond 9.1+SW150 for the front and a second set of 9.1 for the rear. A top notch bargain.

However, it is difficult to get the Diamond 9 Center. There don't seem to be any new ones available, so you could always try Ebay. But, I think a Diamond 10 center would be about as close a second match as you could get, and their prices are very reasonable.

The point of adding Diamond 10.1 later was so you could have a closer match to the Diamond 10 Center. Still, the Diamond 9 and Diamond 10 aren't that far off and should be a decent match if you can't find a Diamond 9 Center.

Diamond makes three Center speakers. If you are sure you will always have bookshelf in front, the low cost Diamond 10.CC is fine. However, if there is a chance that in the future you will upgrade to the smaller floorstanding in front, then get the larger Diamond 10.CS.

The largest Diamond 10.CM is a huge speakers, and while many are using it with bookshelf speakers, it is usually reserved for the largest floorstanding models. Though it is an exceptional bargain, if you don't mind the size.

In your case, the 10.CC (smallest) or the 10.CS (mid-sized) are more than enough.

Steve/bluewizard

What a great thread this is , and reading this im leaning towards the same advice blue wizard is giving regard the first 230 outlay and then adding in the future .
Im starting my first home cinema setup with limited budget and am looking at getting the sony 820 av reciever at 229 or the onkyo 509 at 279 then adding the canton movie 125mx 5.1 speaker pack at 299 . reading this thread im starting to lean towards what is suggested with the diamonds .
Would either of the above av reciever im after run the diamonds ? sorry if im hijacking but i would rather end up with better sound in the long run and upgrading as time goes on .

Thanks Steve, I did think if I save a bit on buying the 9.1 over the 10.1 I could put that extra into getting the CS centre speaker.

Would either of the above av reciever im after run the diamonds ? sorry if im hijacking but i would rather end up with better sound in the long run and upgrading as time goes on .

There is no reason at all that the Sony or Onkyo AV amps would have a problem with any of the Diamond speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom