Help with speaker indecision (Arendal 1961 vs Monitor Silver vs Sonus Faber Lumina, etc)

adacey

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've posted a couple of threads seeking advice on what options would work for my small lounge. The lounge is about 3.3m x 3.5m with a bay window and part of an open plan downstairs (current layout image attached). The ceiling is about 2.75m high.

I'm starting to get a bit of analysis paralysis with so many different options. I had been considering the M&K M series wall-mounted speakers for their compact size, but the more I'm thinking about it, I do have enough space in each alcove for a small floor-standing speaker. The significant advantage of that approach would be that the chimney has an existing shelf of roughly 82cm W x 23.5cm H x 33cm D. It comes to just below the screen height of my TV's current position on the TV stand. I'm already planning to get a new TV and mount that to the chimney, and this shelf space seems perfect for the centre channel speaker. I'd love to use the remaining fireplace space for the AVR and other components, but unfortunately, I don't think it's deep enough for any AVR. However, I could bump the shelves out a bit further to get the depth I'd need, which would make for a tidy look.

I'm still considering several different options for speakers. I'd like to build a 5.2.4 system if possible (I'm planning to pull the sofa off the back wall once I remove the TV stand). I'm thinking probably a floor-standing speaker and a small sub in each alcove. However, I'm quite fortunate that both alcoves and sides of the sofa have available outlets, so subwoofer placement will not be a problem.

So far, my candidate list has me looking at the Arendal 1961 series as a serious contender based on everything I've heard about their value for money. However, I'm a bit concerned about not being able to listen to them first and that I'd likely have to set everything up myself, as I don't imagine many vendors appreciate you just buying the AVR from them and then asking them to do an install with a bunch of new speakers you bought via mail order.

The Monitor Audio Silver series also looks tempting, probably the 200's for the front pair rather than the 300.

The other dark horse candidate would be the Sonus Faber Lumina series, using a pair of Lumina III's for the front. The downside is that they don't make a dipole/tripole surround, so I imagine I'd be using a pair of Lumina I's instead. But, the photos of these do look stunning, and the reviews for stereo listening have me interested, but I've not heard much about using them in a home cinema setup. I'm also unsure what I'd use for Atmos speakers if I went this route.

I've not yet decided on what subs I'll use. The rest of the system will somewhat dictate whether I stay within the brand or look at something like SVS. The SVS 300 micro is very high on my list in size and performance.

I know that I'm just overthinking this too much and need to start listening to some setups to get more of a feel for what I like. But I'd certainly appreciate any further advice on if I'm going down the wrong path or am overlooking some other obvious candidates.

Attachments

• Current layout-2.png
    Current layout-2.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 71
The speaker choice is tricky indeed and personal also in many ways as i can see so many love the looks of floorstanders.

Just quickly about the subwoofer choice. You can get the SB2000 Pro for about same price 900£ with AVF member discount and that is still step up from 3000 Micro for movies so it really comes down to size then. If you go on-wall speakers then you probably can consider something slightly larger like the 2000s. Another perhaps even better option would be 2x SB1000 Pro depending can you place two subs optimally in your room, those 1000s are quite small 33x34x35cm from memory. I think ~1100-1150£ could be possible for pair and as you mentioned earlier you aren`t after super loud / room shooking experience due to wall neighbour there. The benefits for dual subwoofers are quite clear if you have free hands location wise. At this point it`s good to consider all possible options.

Thanks, the SB2000 is also a definite contender, especially if I go with speakers that need a bit more help in the bass. I think the big thing will be to see if I can audition the Luminas anywhere and see how I feel about their sound. But I keep worrying that I might be missing out on a great value for money option with the Arendals. The big concern is I would like to have my setup installed since I don’t have anything wired right now and would want a tidy job for the heights and surround cables. Would someone like Richer Sounds balk at doing the install if I only purchased the TV and AVR from them?

Thanks, the SB2000 is also a definite contender, especially if I go with speakers that need a bit more help in the bass. I think the big thing will be to see if I can audition the Luminas anywhere and see how I feel about their sound. But I keep worrying that I might be missing out on a great value for money option with the Arendals. The big concern is I would like to have my setup installed since I don’t have anything wired right now and would want a tidy job for the heights and surround cables. Would someone like Richer Sounds balk at doing the install if I only purchased the TV and AVR from them?

Just keep in mind with the floorstanders you aren´t driving them full range as you have subwoofers (movies), sure there is still some benefits but for most people it´s about the looks. On-walls / monitors would be quite ideal in the small room. 1961s would be quite tough to beat for the ££. You won`t really find any negative feedback for them.

Here they are:

You could ask here is there any forum advertiser (installer) near your area to come do the things you mentioned.

Just keep in mind with the floorstanders you aren´t driving them full range as you have subwoofers (movies), sure there is still some benefits but for most people it´s about the looks. On-walls / monitors would be quite ideal in the small room. 1961s would be quite tough to beat for the ££. You won`t really find any negative feedback for them.

Oddly enough, it's the space considerations that have me leaning more toward floor-standers. If I went for stand mount speakers instead, the stands often have a larger footprint or, at best, are still just as wide as the floor-standers. Although admittedly, I've not looked much at stand options yet, and I may need to for the surrounds unless I wall-mount those (my current plan). The main dimension I've been looking at for the front pair has been width. Depth becomes a concern too, but looking at the width first rules out many options before I have to think about the depth.

While there's more information about the 1723 series, the 1961 series also seem to rate extremely well. In terms of size, looks, performance, and value for money, they do seem to tick all the boxes. The only major downside I could say for my setup would be the size of the 1S sub, but that's where using a pair of 3000 Micros or SB-2000 Pros could fill in nicely, I think and still have me very happy.

Have you bought the Arendal? Or what was the end of the story?
I went through a bit of an odd path. I started debating starting with a stereo setup. That led me to look more at hi-fi, which led to vinyl. Then that got me back into electronic music. Then I fell down a rabbit hole of hardware synthesizers and ended up parking the home cinema setup for now and buying a synthesizer and learning how to play the keyboard.

Oddly enough, it's the space considerations that have me leaning more toward floor-standers. If I went for stand mount speakers instead, the stands often have a larger footprint or, at best, are still just as wide as the floor-standers. Although admittedly, I've not looked much at stand options yet, and I may need to for the surrounds unless I wall-mount those (my current plan). The main dimension I've been looking at for the front pair has been width. Depth becomes a concern too, but looking at the width first rules out many options before I have to think about the depth.

While there's more information about the 1723 series, the 1961 series also seem to rate extremely well. In terms of size, looks, performance, and value for money, they do seem to tick all the boxes. The only major downside I could say for my setup would be the size of the 1S sub, but that's where using a pair of 3000 Micros or SB-2000 Pros could fill in nicely, I think and still have me very happy.

Comparing the 1961 to the 1723S and 1723,

1723 > 1723S >>> 1961.

Arendal go on record stating 1723 and 1723S are very similar. In my experience, not really. 1723 is better than 1723S and it makes sense from a physics perspective.

The 1961 are absolutely extraordinary for the sound they produce in such a small, slim form factor. The soundstage is great, pin point clarity, neutral sound signature.

The 1723S is great, much more dynamic and will satisfy 99% of people.

The 1723 IMO is even more dynamic, has a better mid-bass punch, has a lot more authority and more clearer. However they're massive. Luckily I own Monoprice fridges they can sit on.

For the depth the 1961 line has, they are simply magical. I struggle to understand how such a tiny speaker produces such a phenomenal sound. They absolutely destroy my Dali Oberons, my old KEFs, my KEF Q50as and they probably go toe to toe (bass extension aside) with my Revel performas. All of those speakers are bigger than the 1961s.

Arendal sound signature wise are very dynamic, neutral, accurate and detail driven for a home cinema speaker.

Most home cinema speakers are more.. forgiving. For example, KEF, Revel etc. They have some wiggleroom to be forgiving to poor recordings and not shove issues in your face. I find Arendal don't mask these imperfections and are a lot more transparent.

In many respects, they're essentially a mid-way speaker between a high-end home cinema speaker (like a revel) and an ugly but extremely super-dynamic compression driver driven speaker which is designed to be behind an AT screen (e.g. JTR, JBL). In many respects a hybrid. I'd say they trade off the three dimension sound staging in stereo of Revels for example but have more dynamic pin point addictive speed to them.

If you have more money to jump up budget, I'd consider Perlisten. If you want pure HT, ascendo/krix/jbl/jtr are all considerations. If I could put an uglier looking speaker into my room, I'd honestly just go straight to JTR and put a pre-order in with them for some noesis triple towers and put them being an AT screen and call it a day. If the speakers need to be on show in a living room area, then its a different story. I doubt you'd ever have to upgrade from JTRs no matter how big your room gets. If I'm ever blessed with a room which can do them justice, I think I'd invest in their front 3 ASAP.

Last edited:
I went through a bit of an odd path. I started debating starting with a stereo setup. That led me to look more at hi-fi, which led to vinyl. Then that got me back into electronic music. Then I fell down a rabbit hole of hardware synthesizers and ended up parking the home cinema setup for now and buying a synthesizer and learning how to play the keyboard.
That’s a lovely story, thank you! 😁

Comparing the 1961 to the 1723S and 1723,

1723 > 1723S >>> 1961.

Arendal go on record stating 1723 and 1723S are very similar. In my experience, not really. 1723 is better than 1723S and it makes sense from a physics perspective.

The 1961 are absolutely extraordinary for the sound they produce in such a small, slim form factor. The soundstage is great, pin point clarity, neutral sound signature.

The 1723S is great, much more dynamic and will satisfy 99% of people.

The 1723 IMO is even more dynamic, has a better mid-bass punch, has a lot more authority and more clearer. However they're massive. Luckily I own Monoprice fridges they can sit on.

For the depth the 1961 line has, they are simply magical. I struggle to understand how such a tiny speaker produces such a phenomenal sound. They absolutely destroy my Dali Oberons, my old KEFs, my KEF Q50as and they probably go toe to toe (bass extension aside) with my Revel performas. All of those speakers are bigger than the 1961s.

Arendal sound signature wise are very dynamic, neutral, accurate and detail driven for a home cinema speaker.

Most home cinema speakers are more.. forgiving. For example, KEF, Revel etc. They have some wiggleroom to be forgiving to poor recordings and not shove issues in your face. I find Arendal don't mask these imperfections and are a lot more transparent.

In many respects, they're essentially a mid-way speaker between a high-end home cinema speaker (like a revel) and an ugly but extremely super-dynamic compression driver driven speaker which is designed to be behind an AT screen (e.g. JTR, JBL). In many respects a hybrid. I'd say they trade off the three dimension sound staging in stereo of Revels for example but have more dynamic pin point addictive speed to them.

If you have more money to jump up budget, I'd consider Perlisten. If you want pure HT, ascendo/krix/jbl/jtr are all considerations. If I could put an uglier looking speaker into my room, I'd honestly just go straight to JTR and put a pre-order in with them for some noesis triple towers and put them being an AT screen and call it a day. If the speakers need to be on show in a living room area, then its a different story. I doubt you'd ever have to upgrade from JTRs no matter how big your room gets. If I'm ever blessed with a room which can do them justice, I think I'd invest in their front 3 ASAP.
Interesting reading this comparison, think I'm going in the arendal direction, although I think it's between the bookies and the s range, not sure I need that much bass in a 11ftx12ft room lol. Paired with a 1s/1v hopefully it will all come together.

I'm looking at getting some new speakers [and drowning in a whirlpool of "research", honestly speakers are the hardest thing to upgrade for a novice IMO :)].

Anyway, as people are discussing Arendal maybe someone can answer this question for me: what is the difference between 1961 Monitor and 1961 Centre???

I've read all the specs and they appear to be completely identical apart from connectors being horizontal/vertical, yet the Monitor is double the price- why?
Would three Centres work just as well for L & C & R speakers, instead of Monitor - Centre - Monitor? [I'm working with a very small room so I don't think tower speakers would really be necessary.]

I'm looking at getting some new speakers [and drowning in a whirlpool of "research", honestly speakers are the hardest thing to upgrade for a novice IMO :)].

Anyway, as people are discussing Arendal maybe someone can answer this question for me: what is the difference between 1961 Monitor and 1961 Centre???

I've read all the specs and they appear to be completely identical apart from connectors being horizontal/vertical, yet the Monitor is double the price- why?
Would three Centres work just as well for L & C & R speakers, instead of Monitor - Centre - Monitor? [I'm working with a very small room so I don't think tower speakers would really be necessary.]

Because the monitors come as a pair. The center is one.

Because the monitors come as a pair. The center is one.
See, this is what happens with an overload of research; so many speakers I've been looking at are priced singly (even when you have to get a pair!) that I am set to default of seeing prices as "per unit"! :laugh:
So they are essentially the same then [although the Centre does come out a bit more expensive than a single Monitor]. Thank you, I was really baffled over that one!

Are these Arendal speakers ok for a small room? [less than 3m from screen to opposite wall, works out speakers a bit under 6 feet from ears] Would the bookshelf speakers be perfectly adequate instead? I don't need massive volume but do want clear detailed sound. [My amp is Denon X2700 and from what I read it can power these speakers in my situation but after a weekend of reading this stuff I'm not sure of anything anymore!] :)

See, this is what happens with an overload of research; so many speakers I've been looking at are priced singly (even when you have to get a pair!) that I am set to default of seeing prices as "per unit"! :laugh:
So they are essentially the same then [although the Centre does come out a bit more expensive than a single Monitor]. Thank you, I was really baffled over that one!

Are these Arendal speakers ok for a small room? [less than 3m from screen to opposite wall, works out speakers a bit under 6 feet from ears] Would the bookshelf speakers be perfectly adequate instead? I don't need massive volume but do want clear detailed sound. [My amp is Denon X2700 and from what I read it can power these speakers in my situation but after a weekend of reading this stuff I'm not sure of anything anymore!] :)

I don't own Arendel speakers. In a smaller room I'd go standmounts.

Other affordable options. Those were available for about 40-50% less

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I don't own Arendel speakers. In a smaller room I'd go standmounts.

Other affordable options. Those were available for about 40-50% less

Thanks for additional suggestions, more research ahead!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Some nice 1961 speakers on the classifieds 😉

Interesting reading this comparison, think I'm going in the arendal direction, although I think it's between the bookies and the s range, not sure I need that much bass in a 11ftx12ft room lol. Paired with a 1s/1v hopefully it will all come together.

Whats your budget mate? What channel count do you want? Just front 3?

I'm on a 4.1 at the mo due to small room and finding the phantom centre quite adequate, I was gonna save up for the perlisten r4b bookies but started to think that I was going a bit overboard and that timbre matching would take ages lol so after looking at arendals I realised I can get a pair of bookies/monitors, sub and centre for less which makes a bit more sense. Then if I get on with them I can do surrounds after, although they look bloody massive lol. Have tried 10 different pairs of speakers so far and for some reason I just didn't find them better than my concept 20's. And these were speakers between 900 - 3000. I think it's because I want something sounding a bit more cinema orientated, the tweeters in a lot of them just sounded to mellow and safe. Definitely think I'm getting analysis paralysis after all this reading and demoing😂

I'm on a 4.1 at the mo due to small room and finding the phantom centre quite adequate, I was gonna save up for the perlisten r4b bookies but started to think that I was going a bit overboard and that timbre matching would take ages lol so after looking at arendals I realised I can get a pair of bookies/monitors, sub and centre for less which makes a bit more sense. Then if I get on with them I can do surrounds after, although they look bloody massive lol. Have tried 10 different pairs of speakers so far and for some reason I just didn't find them better than my concept 20's. And these were speakers between 900 - 3000. I think it's because I want something sounding a bit more cinema orientated, the tweeters in a lot of them just sounded to mellow and safe. Definitely think I'm getting analysis paralysis after all this reading and demoing😂

Consider the 1723S Bookshelf if small room! Fairly compact sized and sealed design. One review used three of these at front so Arendal probably sells you single if you want identical speakers, although if it´s just you watching in the sweet spot with small room then 4.1 could be ideal. Some member said that returning costs are removed so you can basically test the speakers 60days at home.

Few pics (not mine):

h4j9lm9hv5n91.jpg

Arendal_Sound_MSTU-3-2.jpg

Consider the 1723S Bookshelf if small room! Fairly compact sized and sealed design. One review used three of these at front so Arendal probably sells you single if you want identical speakers, although if it´s just you watching in the sweet spot with small room then 4.1 could be ideal. Some member said that returning costs are removed so you can basically test the speakers 60days at home.

Few pics (not mine):

h4j9lm9hv5n91.jpg

View attachment 1807773
Thanks gasp, yup that was my first thought, the bookies should be ok considering they have a 6 1/2 and my concepts only have a 5 so shouldn't miss too much in that department. Although I do want to try the s centre to see what it can do.
It's good to see someone using them as left n rights, everyone else seems to go straight to the monitors which made me have second thoughts on how suitable they'd be. Will have a word with arendal just before I order to see what they say and whether I'll be missing anything in terms of midbass etc.👍

I'm looking at a front 3 and sub. The Monolith speakers mentioned earlier look like a great suggestion and IIRC what I need would work out about £1800. Then the Arendal option I was thinking of [1961 centre & monitor x2 & 1V sub] comes in about £2600. So that's a big difference but I'll go there if I'll get some benefit. [and I'm keeping in mind +£500 or so for 3 stands whatever the speakers are]

Looking a couple of posts up, where that dog is, that's my seating position! I am CLOSE to my screen/speakers and the back wall is right behind. On the plus side, this is not the family viewing TV so I can make a set-up purely focused on that one sweet spot and not worry about "ugly black boxes" or everything not being positioned at neat 90deg angles.
Some of the many options I've pondered have been mentioned here, like phantom centre, or 1723 bookshelf instead of 1961 Monitor, but it is a huge information overload trying to sift through all the variables as a non-techie. o_O

I'm looking at a front 3 and sub. The Monolith speakers mentioned earlier look like a great suggestion and IIRC what I need would work out about £1800. Then the Arendal option I was thinking of [1961 centre & monitor x2 & 1V sub] comes in about £2600. So that's a big difference but I'll go there if I'll get some benefit. [and I'm keeping in mind +£500 or so for 3 stands whatever the speakers are]

Looking a couple of posts up, where that dog is, that's my seating position! I am CLOSE to my screen/speakers and the back wall is right behind. On the plus side, this is not the family viewing TV so I can make a set-up purely focused on that one sweet spot and not worry about "ugly black boxes" or everything not being positioned at neat 90deg angles.
Some of the many options I've pondered have been mentioned here, like phantom centre, or 1723 bookshelf instead of 1961 Monitor, but it is a huge information overload trying to sift through all the variables as a non-techie. o_O

Looked into b&w, dynaudio, Dali, elac, focal, kef, klispch, linn, mission, M&k, PMC, Polk, revel, sonus JBL, svs, jtr, PSA, ascendo, Martin Logan, monitor audio, wharfedale, xtz, paradigm, emotiva, q acoustics, definitive technology, celestion, ruark, NHT, castle, neat , Wilson bench, proac, spendor, ATC, tannoy , PSB, meridian?

Looked into b&w, dynaudio, Dali, elac, focal, kef, klispch, linn, mission, M&k, PMC, Polk, revel, sonus JBL, svs, jtr, PSA, ascendo, Martin Logan, monitor audio, wharfedale, xtz, paradigm, emotiva, q acoustics, definitive technology, celestion, ruark, NHT, castle, neat , Wilson bench, proac, spendor, ATC, tannoy , PSB, meridian?
To some extent but in an effort to actually get some new speakers this time* I've been eliminating manufacturers/models on even mildly unfavourable reviews so for one reason or another [including price on some] a lot of these fell by the wayside, and the Arendal seem to be hanging in there so far! :)

*I usually put in some research and upgrade equipment like TV/amp/blu-ray about every four years or so, but every time looking for a speaker upgrade I ended up thinking "ahh screw this!" and leaving them. My speakers are 25+ years old. :blush:

Hi... later this month I might part with my Arendal 1723S towers & Center. Could be a good setup ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom