1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with speaker choice and placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cyberdude, Jan 2, 2005.

1. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I originally posted this under the Amps & Receiver forum and then realised it would be better here so apologies for cross posting.

I am new to home theatre and am getting ready to build my first system. I have narrowed it down to the Yamaha Rx-V650 receiver and the Onkyo 602E receiver however I am erring towords the Yamaha due to price.

I would like to partner the Yamaha with JBL SCS200.6 or JBLSCS260.6 speakers but am worried if it may sound too bright. I have heard that Yamahas lean towards a bright sound. The system will be used purely for movies - I have a seperate HiFi system for music. Unfortunately, I am unable to find anywhere where I can here this combination. If anyone else can suggest other speakers to try then please suggest. They need to be small and wall mountable. I read good things about the Canton CD1s - are they better than the JBLs? I am a little put off by the huge Canton sub.

Also, the system will be placed in our lounge which is 21x20ft with the seating area located toward one corner (see image). Would there be any problems if I mount the surround (A) and rear (B) speakers from the ceiling? Otherwise the right surround speaker and rear centre speaker will be quite far from the seating area. Putting them on stands is not an option.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Cyberdude, with a room that size, I'd be tempted to go for bigger speakers rather than a satellite setup...have you thought about combining the hifi/home cinema systems? Is the hifi in the same room?

If not, how about wall mounting (on brackets) something like the Mission M32 package? You'd need to get a seperate sub though...

Finally, from your diagram, your side surrounds aren't level with each other - if at all possible you should try to get them parallel.

Hope this helps.

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
  4. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys Roohster. I wanted satellites as I want something small and discrete on the walls. My other half is not going to appreciate me having large speakers dotted around the room. I am also condiering in ceiling speakers for the surround and rears but am not sure on how they would sound.

As for combining the HiFi and HT I don't think I'll get the same quality stereo sound from an AV amp unless I spend $$$$. I also considered adding a processor to my Stereo am but it will not give me the flexibility / features of tha AV amps so I am stuck with the two systems.

I heard the Kefs and they sounded very bright in the store. I don't know if this was just the set up in the store or if this is how they are.