1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Speaker Cable Choice??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cwoj, Jul 5, 2004.

1. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks in advance for reading this. :thumbsup:

I have finally plucked up the courage (and brass :D) to buy a set of Kef 9000 Ace speakers.

I am sure that i am going to be happy with the speakers, but need to decide what i am going to do about the cabling. I intend to wall mount the speakers, so would ideally/definitely like to conceal the cabling. This will entail channeling out four locations in the front room and getting a plasterer in to redo the walls so I kind of need to get this right first time? I do however have the following questions..: :lesson:

1, Which type of speaker cable would you recommend....I have the QED Silver Anniversary at the moment, but don’t have enough to have it concealed so will be buying more. Is there, in the opinion of other forum members better cable that will do the amp (denon 3805) / speakers justice?

2, When concealing the cable what’s the best way to terminate it...eg just have it hanging loose out of a backbox and straight into the speaker terminals?

3, At the amp end or speakers is it worth using a series of 1 gang Quad banks of gold plated sockets with solder connections, then using leads with plugs or opt for the more traditional rats nest approach?

4, Do you really notice the difference from a good solder termination / direct connection?

5, Would you use Airloc or any other plugs for that matter?

6, Can some one recommend a good sub woofer cable?

I’d be grateful if you could expand upon you recommendations etc.. :lease:

Any advice / guidance would be greatly appreciated

Cwoj

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use Silver Anniversary with my M&K and Denon combination and am very happy with it. I use fairly cheap gold plated banana plugs as terminations but don't think that they add anything to the sound but make life easier if you move things around.

For subwoofer cable you can't really beat the stuff that Mark Grant sells in the powerbuy forum.

3. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

thanks for the info.