Help with sound on MSI Mobo

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Help my head hurts! I have just fitted a new Motherboard, The MSI KT3 Ultra with onboard sound, my problem is I cannot load the drivers to operate the sound card, When I try I get an error message " 0x80070725 Description: incompatible version of the RPC Stub" I am running Windows 98.
I do keep removing the sound drivers in device maneger but I keep getting the same error message.
I also tried to update to the latest software from the MSI website, but strangly their update software does not cover win98 :( their forum is also down for an upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Wolfe

The patch did not help, I think I will reload win98 and see what happens, I may be getting hold of XP soon, I hope.

I also have a AMD Athlon XP1800+ 1.533 Ghz 266 MHz bus processor, I am not sure what to set the CPU FSB Clock to, its set to 100Mhz by default and it goes from 100 to 220 Mhz.
I guess I should set it to 220 :confused:

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Timh
I am not sure what to set the CPU FSB Clock to.

I guess I should set it to 220 :confused:

Thanks for the help.

No, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!

The CPU frequency is governed by the FSB (front side bus) speed x multipler.

An unlocked Athlon XP1800+ has a locked multiplier of 11.5.

So FSB x Multiplier = CPU speed.
220 x 11.5 = 2530Hz.

The FSB should be 133

Hence, 133x11.5=1530Hz.

You increase the FSB, your CPU runs faster, but within limits, & with a need for extra cooling.

So for your XP1800+, the FSB is 133 .

If you want to "overclock" your CPU, let me know.

Don't know about the drivers, but usually they come with the MB driver disc.

You shouldn't have to reinstall 98.

Chat soon, assuming you didn't try to run @ 220FSB, & still have interner access.

Hi Kramer

:blush: good job I didn't up the CPU FSB Clock then. Thanks for the info I will change it to 133 when I have finished here.
I have sorted the sound out now, BUT I have fried my Western Digital 20gb hard drive :eek: I thing maybe I have formated it to many times. I am now running an old 1.7gb drive, no Medal of Honour tonight then:(
Is there a limit to how many times a hard drive can be formatted? I must get XP no more formatting then... hopefully.
Right wheres that link for powerstrip ;)

Thanks again

I've never known there to be a limit on how many times you can format a hard disk.
Incidentally - I wouldn't stick to Windows 98 - my minimum would be 98SE - but preferably XP

John

I should have said, I am using 98SE, but hopefully I will soon be able to upgrade to XP.

I've had the best results doing a clean install of XP - upgrades to existing systems always seem to either produce problems or run slower than a clean install. I believe it's possible to do a clean install even when using an upgrade version of XP - you will need to insert the original 98SE disk during installation just to confirm you have a valid copy.

Thanks for the info John, I think I will go for the full version of XP for my new hard drive, I have gone for a Seagate Barracuda 80GB only £69 at Komplett. Should be nice and quiet :)

It sure is - I've got one myself

Originally posted by JohnG
I've never known there to be a limit on how many times you can format a hard disk.
Incidentally - I wouldn't stick to Windows 98 - my minimum would be 98SE - but preferably XP

But don't use Windows ME! It manages to crash with only Outlook Express running straight after windows loads. 98SE is fairly stable from my experience.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom