Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with SOny VX2100 Widescreen

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dgharwood, Dec 22, 2004.

1. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have read a few posts concerning the widescreen abilities of this camera and I am confused.

Due to the expense, I do not want to have to go buying further lenses or adaptors, so will this camera record a suitable 16:9 image.

Also, I have read that when in its high quality mode.the fps reduces to around 15. Is this high enough for good quality footage considering due to the non-Interlacing?

Thanks in advance for any advice. David

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This camera has a 4:3 chip, exactly the same chip and optics as the PD170. It's very very similar to the VX2000 and PD150.

So these cameras all deal with 16:9 in the same way, they simply stretch the image vertically by 133% before recording it to disc. So you lose 33% of your vertical resolution. Anamorphics lenses keep the full resolution, but have operational restrictions, for example you only get about 50% zoom. (I have the Optex convertor)

Another way to work would be to mask part of the sidefinder with camera tape at 16:9 letterbox, then stretch the image 133% vertically in post production to make it anamorphic.

The camera's internal digital processing is fairly good, I have used the post process in Avid, Final Cut Pro and After Effects, they all produce similar results to the internal method. Personally I prefer to use a Snell and Wilcox ARC which produces amazing results, after shooting with the letterbox mask method (It's about £10k I'm afraid though)

Your other option would be a proper 16:9 camera, the XL2, or the new Sony HDV cameras, all around £4000.

3. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh by the way the 15fps problem is only when you shoot progressive on the 2000/150 and I believe 2100/170, it doesn't increase the quality in any way, just records a different way, and it's only a featured used to produce film like images, something that can be done in post production, almost as well.

4. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your help. Whilst a £4000 option would be my preferable way to go, as the camera is only for a picky home user, I will have to stick to the current method until I purchase an additional lens.

If you attach a different lens, how does the camera know not to stretch the image?

5. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The camera is kept in 4:3 mode it works as normal, but the lens does the squeezing.

It squeezes the sides of the image in, and act as a wide angle lens to an extent too.