1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Sony Kdep42xs1

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by micky_d, Nov 30, 2004.

1. micky_d

micky_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some help and advice from someone please. I've just bought the above model but I'm sure I've not set it up right as the picture quality seems awful. It suggests that my aerial goes directly into the back of the TV but I don't have an aerial, just SKY.
    My set up goes - SKY Cable into SKY Receiver - SCART from SKY Reciever into back of TV.
    When I 'autotune' it says 'no channels found' and the TV only shows my SKY channels in the AV mode.

Somebody please help!! And don't tell me it's set up correctly, I'd rather watch the football on my portable if that's tha case!

**I do have a DVD player but haven't connected it yet - will this help (somehow)**

2. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't have an aerial then it will be unable to autotune to the terrestrial channels (pity, because the digital tuner gives an excellent picture). For best Sky picture put Scart into AV1 and set Sky box to RGB output. Picture should be good on most Sky channels. Best picture on DVD obviously.

F

3. micky_d

micky_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks FEBABE, I'm going to go home soon to try it. I hope it improves things, I'll be gutted if if the picture quality I'm experiencing is the best I'm going to get. Especially as i love my football. I only bought the thing because my mate has a contact within Sony who gets things at a good discount. I figured a £3K+ plasma must be superb quality.
    I'll let you know how i get on
    Cheers
    Micky

4. micky_d

micky_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, checked that, that's how it was set up already. Any other ideas, anyone? The picture is poor when fast moving objects appear on the screen, like when a football player is shown in close up running, it's as if the picture can't keep up to speed with his movement - 'ghosting' seems to appear around him.
    There are other things I've played around with like 'Live' or 'Movie' mode but to be honest nothing really makes much difference. Was I just expecting too much??

5. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you paid over £3k for this screen then your mate hasn't got you that good a discount - or are you just referring to the MSP?

Haven't got one of these but have seen it in action & whilst there wasn't much ghosting there was some solarisation. Would have thought that it would handle moving pictures ok though.

Try it with a DVD and see if it's just lousy PQ from the sky box?

6. micky_d

micky_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, and I was meaning the high street price, i paid less. I'll try it tonight with the DVD set up and see how I go.

7. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Micky_d

PQ was important to me for bike racing and I got the 37" version Sony because of that. I didn't think the PQ on any of the SD 42" screens was up to much, especially for fast moving sport. There are lots of people complaining about football on plasmas on here. It has been said that Sky+ PQ not as good as normal Sky, not sure how true that is.

I have component output from DVD recorder running progressive, that gives a sharper, more defined, picture. If you can, try feeding Sky that way.

Some of the Hitachi boys might have some ideas (same panel as Sony) try a different heading with "hitachi" in it so they'll have a look.

F