HELP WITH Sony HS50

activeuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I should be getting a Sony HS50 the week end it will be used just for my pc what leads will i need to get to make it work with my pc

Neelix said:
Either a VGA or DVi to HDMI if your graphics card supports it.

Personally I wouldn't. I would get a VGA to VGA lead for pixel mapping and correct aspect ratio. If you want to use the DVI on the graphics, just use the converter that comes with most screens and cards

Is there a recommended maximum lead length for VGA? Because I read there were problems when using long (10m+) digital leads, is this the same with VGA?
I think I'd need a 15m VGA cable.

If you use the DVI connection and then add the VGA adaptor do you still get 1:1 pixel mapping?

Long VGA leads are fine..... I don't have any problems running a 15m one.

The overscan issue on DVI should be the same regardless of using a vga connector - think about it.... the projector processing the output for the DVI port.

S.

A nice cheap beige cable will do fine, I ran a 15m one to my AE100 for years and got an excellent picture. I then re-used the same cable when I upgraded to a BenQ 8700. There was a small difference in picture quality when I switched from this to a 7.5m Lindy DVI-D cable but I'm sure that's down to the signal format rather than the cable....

Cheers

Simon

UrbanT said:
Personally I wouldn't. I would get a VGA to VGA lead for pixel mapping and correct aspect ratio. If you want to use the DVI on the graphics, just use the converter that comes with most screens and cards

What's the issue with using the DVi connection ? :confused:

Rayfin said:
What's the issue with using the DVi connection ? :confused:

There is no issue with using DVI on the graphics card. There is no DVI on the HS50, only HDMI. Its the HDMI input on the projector that has the issue.

that HDMI problem is the opnly thing stoping me from getting the HS50, as i have a dual DVI gfx carg :rolleyes:

Yaka said:
that HDMI problem is the opnly thing stoping me from getting the HS50, as i have a dual DVI gfx carg :rolleyes:

Then you are wasting valuable watching time. My card is also DVI, but the DVI/VGA adapter that comes with most cards, and TFT screens, is plugged into the DVI socket, and your VGa to VGA is plugged into this.

Its what I use and is perfect :)

UrbanT said:
Personally I wouldn't. I would get a VGA to VGA lead for pixel mapping and correct aspect ratio.

Sorry I copied the wrong quote in previous msg. Does the quote above infer that there is a pixel mapping/aspect ratio issue if you use DVI-HDMI ? :confused:

I'm getting a PJ soon and want to go down the HCPC route eventually. I assumed DVI-HDMI was the way to go.

Cheers

Ray :)

It appears to be an issue with the HS50, but that's not the case with most other pjs. Even so, as Urban T has already said, the differences between the two are negligable from the seating position. It's only up close that you may see the extra noise in the image from the analogue connection..

Gary.

sorry to to gate crash this thread.

one more thing that is playing on my mind is that my both of my pcs will be placed on desk with. one of them i am hoping to use as HTPC the other for my gaming/work stuff. above the desk i am hoping to have a PJ screen and when the kids are watching toy story/shrek/montsters inc etc and i am using the pc will it affect the pic quality much? all light will be off but the dell 2001fp tft screens i have light up the place preety good.

It will make some difference (probably more if the walls are white), but I doubt the kids will notice. :)

You won't hear "Hay Dad, the ANSI just took a hit - TURN IT OFF!!" :D

Gary.

It'll notice during darker scenes more, as you'll notice the light from the LCD reflecting of of the screen if it's facing it, or from reflections off of other objects, but I doubt the kids will notice or care.

If it's on when you're watching, and it bothers you, you can always cover it up. Idealy you want full light control in the room to extract the best from the projected image.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom