1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Sony HS50\51, Smart III and contrast problem.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Trojan, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Trojan

Oct 20, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am hoping that someone can have a look at my readings and let me know where I could be going wrong. I am calibrating at Auto Iris, Lamp Low, cinema, color custom 3 which is the same as low temp. Gamma is off. Now I am using TheaterTek VMR9 renderless mode with all TT settings at default apart from saturation which is at -40 and I am using the Vga connection and I am using a white screen witha gain of 1.0. Using Avia I get a brightness level of 30 using the projectors controls. Setting contrast is hard to do so I settled on 95 which seemed to look ok. I then calibrated using Smart III with the auto iris on and after many frustrated runs I ended up with the following settings.

Red 130
    Green 43
    Blue 60

Red 108
    Green 128
    Blue 141

The color balance is pretty good until I get to about above the 10 ire and Smart tells me that the color balance is within acceptable limits. At the 10 ire mark green is pretty level all the way to the end with red at +1.4 and blue at -0.4. It also tells me that the contrast is ok. In gamma track everything is ok from 100 down to between 40 and 50 where at 40 and 30 it drops to -0.9, at 20 it goes back up level, at 10 it rises to just over +1.1 and finishing off at +1.3. I then took a reading to measure contrast getting a reading of 0.05 lux in the 0 ire field and 135 lux in the 100 ire field giving me a contrast of 2700:1. What I am asking is does setting the contrast to 95 sound correct, does the gamma curve seem correct bearing in mind that when I did a run with the iris off the gamma was good and level from 0 to 100 ire and should I be getting a better contrast ratio. Also can you tell me of a better way of setting the contrast rather than Avia ,I can get my hands on DVE so would this be better to use. I tried setting the contrast using Smart III by putting the red filter on and maxing out contrast as it says in the manual. In the manual it says to start dropping contrast until there is a change in the meter reading and at this point would be your contrast setting. The problem is that when I do this the meter reading starts to fall straight away as I start to lower contrast from the Max. I am sorry about the long post but I am hoping that someone can help me out

Thank you