1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Sony DSCW1

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by iBluetooth, Jul 22, 2004.

1. iBluetooth

iBluetooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I recently purchased the Sony DSCW1 camera. I love it so far except for three really annoying things that I can't seem to figure out and Sony Support has just not been of any help

1. Focus Frame.
    I am used to using a Canon S400 digital Elph. If I half press the shutter button, a green box appears on the LCD showing me exactly where the camera is focusing. The Sony has either a green box that stays in the middle or four brackets that surround a huge area of the LCD screen. Because of this I have taken photographs where the wrong item in the frame was in focus and the item I really wanted to have in focus, was blurred. Is there any way to get the Sony to have a green box that shows exactly where the camera is focusing?

2. Intrusive AF Assist Lamp
    This thing is really too bright. It can be invasive to subjects you are trying to photograph eg, animals, artists at concerts etc. Any chance of changing the settings to reduce the brightness of this lamp or use settings that don't require that the lamp come on but still get that camera to focus?

3. Anyone have some settings recommendations for photographing Tennis on a bright sunny day. For example a shot of a player in the middle of a serve motion when they are just about to hit the ball? ISO? Exposure? Lighting? and everything else.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I have a Sony P120, but i'm a bit new to this game.

1) On the manual modes you can select you focus range which also includes 2 options - Multi Focus or Centre Focus ( I think that is what they're called ) . If you select the centre focus, it adjust the focus to the centre point of the lens. so you know exactly where it is trying to focus.

As for the other 2 questions, i'm not honestly sure. There's a sports mode on mine to do fast sports related shots, or once again you can go into manual mode and change the speed settings etc........ A bit trial and error but sometimes the best way to learn is to just have a play around with settings.

Otherwise try out this link DpReview Sony Forum , and post your question here.

Hope you find your answers,

Giz. :)

3. SofieD

SofieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Bluetooth
    I also purchased this sony recently. I can't help you with your problems, I'm sorry, but I also have a question. I have the same problem with tennis or other sports. It's very hard to shoot a still picture, the picture is not sharp because of the mouvement of the player. Maybe you can help me, or someone else?
    Thank you

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont have your camera. But you need it set at a faster shutter speed if you want to stop the blurring. Try the multi burst option. I'd set it to manual then increase the shutter speed