1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP WITH SONY AMP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GRAHAME, Sep 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. GRAHAME

GRAHAME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have Sony STRD940 connected to full AV set of Mission FS'2's with the front pair connected to the A terminals and a pair of small JBL's in another room connected to the 'B' terminals - All the speakers are 8ohms

Question - The manual says switch the Impedance selector to 4ohms when selecting A+B together -Does this mean we can leave on 4ohms all the time or only when selecting A+B together ??

Ofc usually when using A+B it is when playing a CD and then the other speakers are not affected anyway - If we leave to 4ohms all the time how does that effect the speakers when playing DVD's and using all the Missions (Front / Rear / Centre)

Lastly when playing a CD and selecting the B speakers to play music in the room away from the Receiver, we noticed sound (alth at a lower volume) coming out of the Rear Missions in the main room ???? How can this be ???

We usually select Analogue Direct when playing CD's (using the Sony 735 DVD player) rather than 2CH or AFD

Any help wld be appreciated / Tks in advance

2. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a question that belongs here too; i've got a 940 too, and when i've got the input for my PS2 selected (going through optical), but there's no sound being produced, i can hear Sky (through phonos into Video1) at a low level through the speakers. Anyone else come across this sound "leakage"?

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would rekon the 4 Ohm setting should do in all cases. When set to 8 Ohm while driving both pairs of speakers the protection circuit could trigger, hence the 4 Ohm setting would be best.<br />Unless you drive either A or B at a time, then 8 Ohm will do.

The "leakage" is normal (or actually not), probably caused by the internal circuits or LS cables picking up other signals (e.g. radio broadcast - even though your radio is not switched on!).<br />The latter you could improve while in the first case it would mean to change the amp (no offense, but you get what you pay for and the Sony is a budget amp afterall).