Question Help with Sonos / AV Amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bliss118, Apr 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bliss118

Bliss118
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am going to have to start with an apology - I know very little about AV systems and I am finding myself doing the research after I have made a purchase, which is perhaps the wrong way around I know.

My situation is:

I had a Sony HTXT-1 Soundbase and it was a great bit of kit, but I then upgraded my TV to the Samsung JU6800 50".

This left the legs of the TV overhanging the sound base so I started to look for a new sound system and settled on the Sonos Play bar.

My firstissue with the Playbar is the sound quality does not seem as good as the HTXT-1 while viewing standard TV channels via SKY Q, unless the channel is playing in DD, where I find the sound is much better- My question is does the HTXT-1 enhance stereo sound whilst the Playbar does not?

The second issue I have with the Playbar is audio dropout- this can happen upto 10 times in a single program or not at all, it is rather annoying that there is no logical sequence/ cause to this, and extremely disappointing considering how expensive this bit of kit is.

So,I’m left wondering whether I sell my Playbar and pick up an AV receiver like Sony STRDN1060, with separate speakers or is there a fix to these issues?

Thanks for taking the time to read any help would be appreciated thank you.

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    How do you have everything connected ?

Sonos SoundBars are good if you want a Sonos based Multi-Room audio system and want to include a Home Theatre room in this as well, they however dont really compare well with an AV Receiver (with HDMI inputs) or a similar priced HDMi HD Audio enabled soundbar.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    PLAYER - as Seb says some info on how you have it connected and configured would be handy.

Samsung + Soudnbase - do you still have the Soundbase, if yes can you rig it up temporarily to confirm you do/don't get the same audio dropout.

Dropout - could be the TV, the cable or the PLAYBAR.

Joe

4. Bliss118

Bliss118
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for quick replies,

The TV with sound base had Sky HD plugged into the sound base via HDMI also a chrome cast and a wii u, The sound base then had HDMI out to the TV and i had no problems with audio,

Currently we have Sky Q and all other components plugged straight into the TV via HDMI and a optical out to the Sonos playbar

The Sky is set to output DD and the TV is set to Optical out DD I might try and plug the Sky box optical out straight into the playbar and see if the drop out continues?

Unfortuanatly we no longer have to sound stage

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    yes that would be my suggestion optical direct from Skyq to PlayBar

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    TV - have you checked if there is a FW update/fix? Samsung have had intermittent audio dropout with HDMI sources on other models of TV.

Joe