Help with small speaker system - is the Cambridge Audio Minx S212 good?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Pete2011, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Pete2011

Pete2011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a speaker system for my small flat. I've never used anything than the a tv's built-in speakers before, so have no experience looking for a system before.

Equipment i have
    TV - LG LD790
    Sky HD box
    Panasonic DMP BDT210 Blu-ray player

What do i need to add?
    I've looked online and the Cambridge Audio Minx S212 seems like it would meet my criteria - small, good quality and can be added to in the future.

(1) Is this a good fit, or does anyone have any recommendations?

(2) Would i also need to buy a separate amplifier, and if yes, any recommendations for what would complement this as a setup?

Is there anything else I'm missing or would need to consider?

Help is very much appreciated

2. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi, yes you would need an amplifier to power the 2 left and right stereo speakers... The subwoofer has its own amp built in...

The lower costs stereo amplifiers start around 100 quid but you can get cheaper amps or buy used ones...

I'm using Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers for my tv listening... These are 39 quid a pair... I'm using a Denon AVR 1610 that I bought used from this forum to power the speakers... It also has a pre out for the subwoofer...

What type of audio outputs do you have on your tv? The output from the tv would feed into a stereo amp that then drove your speakers...

Or you could get an avr like this http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh510/sony-strdh510

And plug your blu ray player and cable tv box etc into it... And then have 1 hdmi cable going to your tv...

Also, if you have a blu ray player you might want to think about getting an amplifier that can handle the high definition audio of blu rays... You don't have to, a non high definition amplifier will still handle 5.1 surround which is great but some people are really blown away by it... I haven't tried it yet but my Denon amplifier can handle it so I just need a blu ray player... But you can still just stick with basic stereo and a subwoofer and the sound will be a nice improvement from built in tv speakers...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. Pete2011

Pete2011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The tv has an optical digital audio output. Is that a good thing?

Are there any recommended amplifiers which can handle high definition for around a couple of hundred pounds?

4. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes digital optical out is good... but it can't handle high definition audio, you need hdmi for that...

You might be able to get an amp that can handle HD audio for that... I got a used one for 130 quid that I'm happy with so if you get a last years model new or go for a used one you might get better value.... If you do get one then you plug everything into the amp via hdmi and then one hdmi cable goes to your tv...

Here are some lower cost amps... I've only used Denon amps so I can't recommend anything... I think the cheapest HD audio one is 169?

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/av-receivers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  5. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  6. Pete2011

Pete2011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

I've been looking at AV receivers.... and from the forum's here, the Denon1912 gets recommended as great value.

At just under 300 pounds (new) it's a little more than i'd wanted, so i'm going to see if there are any used ones instead.

Do you think the Denon1912 with the Cambridge Audio Minx S212 is a good combination?

Edit.. The Denon might not fit for me, so am looking at the Marantz NR1402 instead

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  7. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think these speakers are cheaper and nicer... http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3250-wha...akers-sw150-subwoofer-21-speaker-package.aspx

Unless you really need the tiny cube type speakers...

That Denon amp looks nice... When I was shopping I was gonna get the Denon 1910 but then went for the 1610 as I didn't need 7.1 amp, just 5.1 which was cheaper...

You could always go for a new but previous year model... or get the version with 5.1 instead of 7.1 if you don't need the extra power...

8. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77