help with sky subscription and dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mgfredy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mgfredy

mgfredy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi there

Need a bit of help - the credit crunch is taking a chunk out of my wallett. Looking to cancel my sky subscription on TV to save some cash but need to continue to use the dish as no ariel at the property

I have read an post on another forum which is as below:-

The only way those of us with bad Freeview reception (and no cable supplier) can get digital telly is via satellite. For that reason, I've been a begrudging Sky subscriber for some time now. Whilst waiting for the BBC to launch their own Freesat offering, I'd considered switching to Freesat From Sky before, but had been put off by the cost. Then I made a very useful discovery.

This only really works if you're already a Sky subscriber. Here's the trick. Call Sky, and tell them that you want to cancel your subscription. They'll try and persuade you not to, but just say that you've decided to switch to “Freesat From Sky” because you don't watch the extra subscription-only channels. The trick (which they'll tell you if pushed) is that once the subscription ends, your existing Sky digibox, with your existing subscriber card in it, is a fully-working Freesat From Sky system. No need to pay £150 for the box and dish (you've already got both). And more importantly, no need to pay £20 for a Freesat viewing card (as claimed in their FAQs) - your existing subscriber card will do the job just fine.

Is this right any help you can give me would be great and more importantly i wont need to use sky

Also reading some of the thread in here if i cancel my sky tv do i loss the broadband and telephone if so my not be good idea to cancel sky. Unless anyone knows were you can get broadband for £5.00 per month?

Help would be much appreciated

regards

James

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  3. mgfredy

mgfredy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    opps cheers fort help when you refer to sky changing cards what does this mean sorry to ask what may be a straightforward question

4. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Sky will be changing viewing cards soon.
    Whether ex-subscription cards will continue to work as Freesat cards is not known and you may need to purchase a card from Sky.
    Have you read the definition of the word that you used? I think you meant to type 'chunk' - best to edit your original post

5. mgfredy

mgfredy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    done cheers for the heads up - any ideas on cheap BB as free sat seems a good idea as i dont use half the channels i pay for

6. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Take a look here

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) - AVForums.com

Maybe the cheapest ATM is TalkTalk at £16.99 at £16.99/month for 'up to 8mb' including line rental and free evening/weekend calls

Some love it, some loath it and beware it's an LLU service with an 18 month contract and could cost you £125 if you wish to revert to a BT line

Check sites like these

DSL ZoneUK - broadband for everyone

thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website