Help with Sky Movies Channels in MCE 2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DavidT4, May 7, 2007.

1. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I have MCE 2005 and my Sky Movies channel names did not update when Sky re-named them all, so channel 301 is Sky Movies 1 instead of Sky Premiere etc.

Additionally, the actual film listings are wrong in MCE too e.g. channel 303: MCE thinks Sky Movies 3 is Showing Big Momma's House 2 but its actually Sky Commedy - Elizabethtown !!!

Can anyone tell me how to update them please ? adding a new 301 with the correct channel name (replacing the original one) does not work.

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Anthony-Howard

Anthony-Howard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I had the same problem as you. I manually added the channel listings (from my bladerunner EPG) to a movie channel, one at a time, until what the guide showed matched what was on the channel. Once I had found a correct pair I then renamed the channel to match the correct name and EPG channel name.

I don't see any reason why this should not work for both the Sky EPG and third party EPGs. Of course it would be helpful if I had wrote down the mappings but unfortunately I did not.

Perhaps as you are doing it you could write down the correct channel mappings and post them here for other people in the same situation ?.

Cheers,

Tony.

3. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Tony.

I've tried adding a new channel on a different number for Sky 301 - Sky Premiere but it does not pick up the EPG details. I cannot rename any of the existing channels either :(

Is there a way to force a new download of the MCE EPG data ? I want to keep the series info though - best thing about MCE :)

David

4. slopz

slopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are the mappings to get your guides recording the right things again.

313 -> 301 (sky cinema1 becomes sky premier, moved to channel 301)
    314 -> 302
    301 -> 303 (so the channel still labed sky movies 1 moves to channel 303)
    302 -> 304
    303 -> 305
    308 -> 306
    304 -> 307
    305 -> 308
    307 -> 309
    306 -> 310

Its a pretty **** way of them doing it tbh, hope the fix it soon.

5. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks very much for that. Add also:

309 -> 311 - HD channel though.

311 is no more from what I can tell.

I've gone through the whole guide quickly and there are many missing channels and lots without guide listings (although they appear in the guide).

I've emailed the data provider - Broadcasting Data Services - to enquire about the issues. I'm using Sky Digital in the North West.

I wonder if Vista MCE has the same issues ? Seems odd to me, as many will be put off by the poor guide details, not a good advert for a Microsoft flagship product as things stand.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Vista will have exactly the same issues as the EPG data is identical.

There have been major issues in the past but I did think that the EPG was pretty decent now. Can you please provide a list of missing channels & channels with missing or incorrect data. I have a contact in the Microsoft MCE team who asked me to provide concrete details of UK EPG problems.

7. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can do that but will give Broadcasting Data Services a chance to respond first.

Do you not use the MCE EPG then Nigel ?

Do others have the same issues with the EPG as me ?

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Yes I do but obviously none of the channels that we watch are affected. We don't subscribe to any movie channels.

9. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, the channel descriptions have now changed. I noticed this at 11pm las night. They start 'Sky Movies' then 'Premiere' etc.

This is a pain as they all look the same when shortened in the EPG displays !! Even Sky figured this out, the Sky EPG has them as 'Sky' then 'Premiere' etc. i.e. the word Movies is removed.

The channel numbers are still wrong in the MCE EPG however.

David

10. DavidT4

DavidT4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have zero patience, so I called Broadcasting Data Services.

There will be a full review of the Sky lineups for all UK regions in the next few days, so these issues (and more) will be resolved. :thumbsup:

What we get in the EPG depends on what Microsoft will pay for and that depends on how may people watch. I will find out who makes these decisions within Microsoft at some point, so we can ensure our interests are effectively represented :)