1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Sky Magic Eye

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by millpightle, Jun 4, 2005.

1. millpightle

millpightle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All suggestions gratefully received. The magic eye I use to watch Sky in the kitchen has suddenly stopped working i.e. I can no longer change channels using it. I've had it for about 4 months and it was working fine. Nothing about my TV set up has changed that I'm aware of. I have tested the eye by plugging it directly into the RF2 outlet on the digibox and it works fine (I covered the box so that it's IR wouldn't respond). The RF Output is On. The RF2 cable goes up into the loft and feeds a 4-way powered splitter. As I said, the eye was working fine in the kitchen until two weeks ago. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. millpightle

millpightle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for suggestion re going to satcure.co.uk. I tried but couldn't find anything useful other than check your co-ax cables. Could something have gone wrong with the co-ax cable links? Nothing has been touched since the eye first started working and then stopped. Satcure also suggested getting a bypass box to help power the eye. Is this necessary?

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Is the small red LED on the skylink lit?

5. millpightle

millpightle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the sky link eye LED is lit up. Does anyone know anything about bypass boxes? Do I need one and if so, why did it work beforehand?

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    No I wouldn't think you would need one as you have proved the 9v necessary to operate the remote tvlink is present shown by the led on it being lit.
    This 9v would be missing if the aerial amp/cabling was defective.

Can I just clarify one thing?...........you are talking about changing the SKY channel remotely aren't you?.....and not the TV channels?

7. millpightle

millpightle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm talking about changing the Sky channel remotely not the normal TV channels.

8. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    unless your 4 way dist amp has pass thru built in you can only use 1 magic eye and a 1 bypass kit. I tried 2 and the led lit on both eyes but it did not work. I change the dist amp and success 7 eyes all working perfectly

9. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    He already stated that it was working okay so it must have bypass built in.

10. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bypass kit allows the dc voltage to pass on non digilink compatible amps,
    if it worked before the amp must be ok.
    I would check all connections, do you have any other eyes on the system, or have you added any lately.
    I have a loftbox amp and 10 eyes all working.
    They can be temperamental,i got one to work by cutting 2" off a fly lead.,
    beleive it or not they are sensitive to the legth of cable!

11. millpightle

millpightle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for suggestion. I don't have any other eyes working on the system so I'll just check all the connections again. It must be something simple like a dodgy connection because I can't see why else it would've just stopped like that.
    Cheers

12. Return of Bruno

Return of Bruno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The same thing has happened with my magic eye. it just stopped working!

Mine was working fine for a year, havent changed anything. The light on it is constant I just can't change the channels with it. Remote batteries fine.

13. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think that Magic Eyes and splitters worked well together, especially powered ones. Try taking the splitter out to see if that fixes it

14. cjdale

cjdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a kind of solution (possibly!!) and also a question - as this seems to be on a similar topic...

First of all I experienced the same problems with the magic eye and it IS to do with a 'bypass' problem. I had a video recorder inbetween my RF2 output on the skybox and my upstairs TV, and it worked fine for about 6 months then went intermittent. I found it to be the VCR but when it wasnt working the light on the magic eye was STILL ON. So I can almot gaurentee the problem is this.... POOR BYPASSING of the RETURN SIGNAL (carrying the remote commands back to the sky box) around the ammplifier. Even though the light is still on recieving the 9vDC, something in the amp is interfering (and yes its just randomly started - like my VCR!!)

Now my next question..... I know you can by seperate bypass units but does anybody know of a schematic / circuit diagram on the web that i can build my own from as i am in to electronics...

Ta & Good Luck

CHris

15. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I think you looked in the wrong place. Click on the following link and you'll see a page that lets you download their troubleshooting notes. Read them and follow them to the letter and I'm certain you'll locate the cause of your problem!

http://www.satcure.com/tech/tvlink2.htm

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The most common problem with magic eyes is that a co-axial plug in the system somewhere is no longer passing the DC current properly. The majority of people who fit co-axial plugs do not solder or crimp them, so the contact is made purely by the wire touching the pin. As the pin tarnishes with age, so does its ability to make a good contact with the wire. The TV signal will pass through with no problem, because it is a UHF signal which can be capacitively coupled, and TV signals carry no current, so there is no voltage drop. The quick fix is to crimp the pin on all co-axial plugs.

17. freelander999

freelander999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUst to add a little else.

I live in a new apartment block where each flat has a multiwall plate that allows for sky+. in each bedroom there is point for the sky feed via an amplifier in the cupboard. however the magic eyes always light but intermittently fail to work. sometimes this is rectified by a hard on off of the sky box.

18. freddie

freddie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had exactly the same problem. My magic eye is 10+ years old. It stopped working about a month ago. It works directly from the HD box (RV2 socket but not in the bedroom. I was about to purchase a replacement when I saw your message on AVForums.
    If you find an answer to our problem coul you please pass it on to me.:lease:

19. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Simple logic should tell you the fault can only be in the cable or the coax connectors.

20. ubedizzy

ubedizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar problem, have used a sky magic eye perfectly for approx 3 years in a second room feeding from sky+, on saturday I replaced the TV in there for a Sony Bravia and the sky eye will now not work, when i put the old TV back it works fine again. The picture is getting through but no light will come on the eye, I have taken off both ends of the coax cable, cut the cable and and replaced and still no joy.

The only way i can get it to work which i found by accident is by holding a cable from the redundant sky box in that room on the aerial socket at the back of the tv, and hey presto the light comes on. I have tried resetting the RF 2 power setting on the sky+ box but this wont work, I have also purchased a new magic eye but still no joy.

I can only assume all connections and cables are fine as why else would it still work on the old tv?? Can the TV be at fault, but then surely the picture wouldnt get through??

It seems in my non very comprehensive technical knowledge that for some reason the TV is not passing the 9v down the cable??

Help please.

21. Boss-man

Boss-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what is it I need to run 3 eyes? I have a cable running from my rf2 upto the loft in to a 8 distributing amplifier but as I can see by this forum I need something else to run the 3 eyes. help:lease:

22. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get to the bottom of this? The magic eye should work without a TV, so see if it changes the channel downstairs whilst not connected to either TV.

23. graham3179

graham3179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a novice to all this stuff but I can't get my Magic Eye to work!

I had initially linked my Magic Eye through a signal booster but thought this might be the problem, so I checked it directly with the RF2 output. The light came on, but the remote control still didn't change the channel when I pointed it at the receiver. Do I need to change the frequency or something?!

I also made sure the RF2 power was on.

Apologies for the basic question, but hopefully someone can help?!?!?!

24. alibongo17

alibongo17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a magic eye in my sun lounge and it stopped working, so i plugged it into the rf 2 out on my sky box and nothing happened, i thought it was broke so i purchased a different eye but same result, i can get sky on my tv, picture great but the eyes dont work whatsoever, any ideas.

25. alibongo17

alibongo17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having probs with magic eyes two different makes both not working when plugged into tv or straight into rf 2 out on sky box any suggestions.

26. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Remove power from the Sky box. Wait 20 secs and reconnect. Check RF2 power is set to On.
    Try Eye.

27. alibongo17

alibongo17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info unfortunatly still nothing. the rf channel button is 68 could this be a problem.

28. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    When you turn the RF2 power on, you are "Saving Settings"?

29. alibongo17

alibongo17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the delay. yeh saved settings. i cant understand how the rf2 works as in getting sky on tv, but the magic eyes dont work .

30. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The RF2 output has the ability to superimpose a 9V DC signal, to power Eyes, on the RF ouput.

It sounds as if your 9V is kaput.