• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with Sky box + Denon 2307 + HDMI out

W

wondering

Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Sky forum, but plumped for here so hope I'm right :)

I'm trying to connect my Sky box to my Denon amp via component input and then outputting over HDMI to my TV.
So, I have the Sky box outputting RGB over scart, going through a Scart --> Component converter, into the 2307. On the Amp I have "Analog to HDMI conversion" on and the HDMI side of things works fine as I have two DVD players using that.

Anyone have any idea where on earth I've gone wrong?? As far as I can make out, this should work perfectly, so I've either misunderstood or I've missed something somewhere.......*confused*

Thanks in advance
Matt

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
when you say Scart to Component convertor, do you mean a simple adaptor cable, or a proper powered conversion device?....RGB to Component for the sake of an AV amp needs a proper powered device such as QED's QCV or JS Tech's box.....

cant be of help otherwise as my primitive 3803 doesnt have HDMI :D

edit: other than to say double, triple and quadruple check you have done all your menu assignments properly for inputs etc...and make sure your Sky box is set to output RGB not PAL

W

wondering

Hi,

Yes, I have a powered converter and I've checked all the input/output assignments - unless I've missed something, its all set up correctly...

Given that it doesn't work though, I guess I've missed something :)

Matt

W

wondering

Still hoping to avoid that as I can't get to the back of the TV without much awkwardness and dismantling! But its something I'll probably do tonight if I don't get anywhere...

Chris Moseley

Established Member
Still hoping to avoid that as I can't get to the back of the TV without much awkwardness and dismantling! But its something I'll probably do tonight if I don't get anywhere...

Hi,

Your amp has no deinterlacer in it. HDMI by specification only supports progressive signals (other than 1080i). Unless your input is progressive, or much less likely, your screen supports 576i over HDMI, you will not get a signal from HDMI unless your input is progressive. Best check your TV's user guide to see what input resolution it suppprts over HDMI (it will support 576i but probibly not over HDMI).

Regards

Chris Moseley
Yamaha UK

W

wondering

As I understand it, the amp upscales over HDMI so this should be irrelevant....

Chris Moseley

Established Member
As I understand it, the amp upscales over HDMI so this should be irrelevant....

As the previous poster said, no upscaling and more importantly - NO DEINTERLACER. I can't really add much more to my previous answer. As there is no deinterlacer, the amp is outputting 576i through the HDMI output, which I assume your TV won't handle since it's outside of the HDMI spec. Some HDMI sinks can use it (basically the signal needs to be transmitted twice to make up for the shortfall in the bandwidth that 576i does not have and is required by HDMI). This can result in very strange images if any image is seen at all. Few screens will accept 576i over HDMI. Really, for an amp to correctly upconvert to HDMI it needs a deinterlacer. I'm 99% certain this is the reason you have no image. See if someone can lend you a display that can display 576i from HDMI - this would demonstrate that this IS the problem. Read here for more info (page 14).

Chris

W

wondering

Ok, I get it. Silly me really :)

I need another component cable........:)

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom