help with sky+ and £10 sub

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by derekrcross, Aug 27, 2005.

1. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just to see if anyone can help me
    what the problem is i have a sky+ box which i have had since release ,last summer 04 i cancelled my £10 sub to sky+, no problem i was still able to watch recorded programs from the hard drive :thumbsup:
    i then started my sub again in november until last month this time i can not watch recorded programs from the hard drive
    when i phoned up sky they informed me this is correct and last time i cancelled sky+ i should not of been able to use the hard drive i pointed out that i had paid for the box in full and did not agree with them leaving me with a blocked hard drive of my prerecorded programs then when i got to the manager and she could not explain why the phone went dead 27mins of a wasted call to sky :mad:
    so before calling again i want to see if it is only me with a blocked hard drive or others who have had this problem
    thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you do not pay for the SKY+ service then you can not use the SKY+ service which includes the whole recording side of the STB.
    I can believe that being an early adoptor as you claim that you were totally unaware of that fact, it certainly created a huge buzz on forums and newsgroups at the time.
    What exactly did you think you were paying the extra £10 for?

We can argue if this is right or wrong but at the end of the day SKY classes the SKY+ and channel subscription services as seperate (always have done) both requiring payment unless you take advantage of a combined package offer.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I agree with derekcross that it is a bit underhand of Sky to block stuff you have recorded once you cancel Sky+.
    It is not exactly surprising as Sky+ can also control the time you are allowed to view PPV material as well.
    So Sky is really in control of your Sky+ , not you.

You will not have this problem with any stand-alone PVR, DVR or DVD recorder (e.g. TiVo, Panasonics etc..)
    Record the stuff off your Sky+ box the day before you cancel if you want to keep your recordings.

As the drive is useless without a Sky+ sub you could also remove the drive and use it in your PC or TiVo or DVR or HD recorder until you want to re-sub to Sky+ again.

I am refusing to get Sky+ until it gets decent metadata and significant user software improvements to bring it halfway close to TiVo, and its cost drops a lot (i.e. probably not going to happen).
    I may reconsider when Sky+ High Def comes out though :)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It was never a secret though, you paid a monthly fee for the SKY+ hard drive based functions it's takes no great intelligence to realise if you stop paying you lose those functions.
    As for PPV well it's would be a little stupid to allow someone to watch a PPV movie as many times as they wanted for as long as they wanted after all you are not supposed to be recording them for putting on your shelf either:)

Alas most of TIVO's functions are patented and SKY along with many US broadcasters are not willing to pay the licensing fees or hand a third party company such a major part of their broadcast services.

5. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello thanks for the replys
    but why last year was i still able to watch my prerecorded programs from the hard drive ? a fair quetion
    starburst did you read my first post before replying because i think you missed the point :rolleyes:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The point was (as I understand it) was that for some reason you were able to continue watching your recorded progamming even though you had cancelled the SKY+ service and after cancelling this time you find you can not and hence made a long and ultimately pointless phone call to SKY.

Is that right?

7. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry my fault sky must of changed policy since last year and forgot to let me know :eek:
    but i thought i would ask on the forums anyway to see if anyone else had the same situation

please starburst no need to make a long and ultimately pointless reply :smashin:

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You asked me a question about my understanding of your original post.

I replied with my interpretation of your problem and asked for confirmation if I was correct about the situation so in turn I could then offer advice or further guidance to help you.

Now SKY has not changed any policy in regards to the SKY+ service however that does not mean that your cancellation of said service was put through their computers and if it was that it was implemented correctly.
    SKY are not perfect and neither is the hardware or software, you may have just been lucky and your cancellation request while being processed for billing never got as far as the database which contains subscription info.

However another thought springs to mind which is however dependent upon what sort of channel package you had during the SKY+ sub and what package you had after cancelling since during your subscription term the SKY+ fee was waived if you had at least two premium packages.