Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with shuttle spec...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by johnny, May 1, 2003.

1. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm considering putting together a shuttle to use in a 1 bed flat to replace my widescreen TV/sony dvd/freeview box. I'm thinking I coudl use a 17TFT (such as Acer AL 712 which everyone rates) for casual freeview viewing (with a nebula pci card) and the PJ for 'event' viewing. Also be used for mp3 / dvd playing, photoshop and office apps. Gaming is not something i'm bothered about.

Space is premium and the GF constantly complains about the 'huge black telly' and 'all the cables' so this could be a great solution.

Can anyone tell me if what i'm proposing is likely to have any major problems?

I'm looking at the SN41G2, Athlon XP2200+, 1gig ram, 120gig HD, Nebula Freeview card, DVD writer.

From what i've read up on, I could still get Tivo like functionality with this set-up (i've got pipex broadband)

Any comments / assistance appreciated.

Cheers

Johnny

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just a few Q's first:

What is your budget?

Is there a size restriction on the case?

Would you tolerate a normal sized (desktop size) case?

3. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well my budget is whatever it will take to do the job, without unessecary bells'n'whistles and that gives me the best bang for the buck. From my research i'm reckoning £900 or thereabouts for everything.

I'm afraid a grey desktop / tower case is out of the question, the GF just wouldnt accept it (and its her flat unfortunately!) Reason I'm looking at shuttle is its small form factor and looks.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The only bad things about the Shuttle systems are the lack of real upgrade potential and the noise they make. They are not the quietest PC's available. :)

If you can afford it look at a silver/gold LMP-PC case. It'll last you much longer, looks nice and you have huge range of options to put into it.

The Nebula card is a good choice, they may have a Sky card at some point also.

The system should run pretty well with the spec you've set, if you don't go for onbaord sound, look at maybe an N-Force 2 based mobo. They have the option (on some of the boards) to pipe all sound as DD, and the onboard video is pretty good. Other options for video include getting a newish Radeon based card.

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My children have shuttles, with the heat pipes removed and replacement coolers from www.quietpc.com, so they are pretty quiet.
    they take up little space, and have everything on board, including SPDIF out for sound, network for broadband, built in video card. I have a Nebula card on test in my desktop at the moment, but would see no reason not to fit one in the shuttles if needed
    Picture:
    http://www.gab2001uk.com/images/shuttle.jpg

6. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Awwww cute kids gab!!.:hiya:...i'm gonna set up something like that for my little sister. :suicide:

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  8. dotBen

dotBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are intending to use a Shuttle case, try looking at the Creative SLIX case (www.slixpc.com) which is the preferred case for the Audigy soundcard (comes with it). It is also liquid cooled rather than static heat pipes.

9. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These PCs use exactly the same cooling system as the Shuttle SN41G2 and it may be the 'preferred' case for the Audigy sound card because Creative say so, the Audigy will work in exactly the same way in the SN41G2.

I've got a SN41G2, with a 2400+, 1 gig ram, 120 gig hd, pioneer 105 and a 9700 pro. After replacing the ICE fan and the fan in the power supply you wouldn't know it is running most of the time.

10. dotBen

dotBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geordie,

You're right, the shuttle does look the same OEM as the SLIXPC. I never actually looed at the shuttle until reading your post, and of course the Audigy will work fine in any case.

My only observation is that I was able to obtain the case + audigy sound card for not much more money than just the shuttle case. My fan is also unnoticable so it's possible they use a higher grade fan

11. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geordie and Gab2001,

Would you provide more detail's on your comments regarding replacing fans/PSU's etc.

I looked a quietpc.com and couldn't find anything that looks appropriate.

Thanks,
    David.

12. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a great Shuttle section in the forum at Sudhian .

They also have an FAQ which is very useful.