1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Shortlist, please ...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Fat Tony, May 22, 2004.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

Can anyone please help me. :confused: I am after some AV gear, but I am having problems getting demos in shops of anything I suggest, as salesmen seem to drive me into looking at something else, (possibly because they can't be bothered hooking up the gear). So I thought it would make it easier if I had a couple of systems written down to show them I'm serious and see if things improve. Also I'm seriously short of time at weekends and don't hold out hope of being able to demo some/all of the gear.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest some gear that would be certain to match well and give me some pretty good sound/pictures, even if I couldn't audition it (I'm sure it would be miles better than most all-in-one systems). At the very least, I could use this shortlist and start doing some searches on this forum (to get some real user feedback) to help me decide better.

My requirements are:

5.1 speakers like the Kef eggs (i.e. small & wife friendly). Main use will be home cinema, but say 10% music too. I have seen these at the £650 mark and that is roughly the most I want to pay for these or alternatives.

5.1 (or more) AV receiver. Would like to match with speakers and also prefer something best for movies rather than music. Budget c. £350.

A multi-region progressive scan DVD player - not sure what I need to spend here, is £150-£200? I would also possibly consider a HDD/DVD recorder.

I would be connecting these to a plasma (prob. Panasonic TH-42PW6), Sky (poss. Sky+ in near future). Not to concerned about hooking up a VHS, but would be nice to have the option too.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Also wort looking here :
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/
    For the Mordaunt Short Premeire PLUS system in cherry @£309 + p&p. Neat, tidy, Wife freindly and sound good with a superb sub woofer (in black) :smashin:
    With the money saves you could buy a Pioneer AX3. Superb home cinema amp with THX and auto sertup. If you want a recomendation ask Tons of fun as he has just got one (also works for Mordaunt Short) :D

I believe Toshiba have just released a cheap multi-region progressive scan DVD player for under £100!! :smashin: If you want something with else to consider the LImit 900SE is also a fantastic dvd player that plays music very well. Do a search in the DVD forum for limit, Huge thread about them. They also both have componant video out for connecting to the plasma.

Also with the MS speakers and amp if you want more power (wife permitting) you could upgrade the fronts to MS 904 floor standers
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301863
    or the bigger 906
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301867 :smashin: and then have a 7 speaker setup :clap:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Infinity Oreus and HK AVR 230 should fit the bill nicely mate. Also consider Canton Movie/CD 1 Speakers and (Dare i say BOSE AM6 [small but sound not to every ones taste] available in white and black and they are very very small for the wife).

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    OK chaps, one part of the jigsaw has been filled in today.

I just happened to be meeting some mates for a coffee today in Chiswick and we passed a hi-fi store called Krish Audio-Visual. They had the Kef KHT2005.2 eggs going for £600 :clap: and as the wife was there & she approved, I just went & bought them there & then. A bit of an impulse buy - perhaps I fell for the salesman's patter about them running out of stock soon, with no guarantee that future stock would be at this price, which appears to be stuck at £800 in most other stores.

Anyway, half the battle (for me) is the missus being happy and with all the great reviews, I'm sure I won't be that disappointed (main will be TV/movies, not music).

I guess I'm looking for a couple of recommendations for receivers that partner the eggs well. The guy in KrishAV suggested the Denon AVR-2803 for £500. I thought something in the region of £300-400, but if the eggs really need something better, then I would stretch to £500 tops, as I'm likely to keep this gear for a long time.

Thanks for your help so far!

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Not if you're anything like the rest of us here you wont :laugh:

Adrenochrome.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned: