Help with short list

I have posted previously on here re my search for a new 43 inch tv only to find negative comments about all of them due to HDR performance issues. I had concluded I had no choice than to wait for the rumoured 42 inch OLED, but I'm not getting much encouragement this will appear until 2022 and then likely be overpriced or hard to get for quite a while afterwards due to massive interest from gamers. I also wonder if such a tv will be engineered very much with the gamer market in mind, thereby meaning I would be paying for unwanted tech , possibly at the expense of tech I do want.

I seem to have now had success in badgering my wife to accept a 48/49 inch screen so am actively reviewing the options. I have never gone for a premium tv before and do wonder about the price differential compare to some very nice looking 43 inch sets, but do want to get the most future proof set I can and am prepared to push the boat out a bit for a change, within reason. I would, however, happily buy a premium 4k 43 inch tv if you could still buy a non HDR set but I don't think these now exist?

My short list is ;

OLED

LG 48 CX ( 2020) and C1 (2021)
LG 48 A1 ( 2021)
Sony A9 (2020)

LCD
Sony 49XH 9505 (2020) and X90J (2021)

I went on a ' stare at tvs' visit to Currys today and saw all of the OLEDs but not the LCD's. I was happy with the look of them all but , from pictures, I really don't like the strange 950 splayed legs stand very much. We have had Sony's for over 20 years . Our current 32 inch (yes) is about 11 years old and, to my mind, gives a brilliant picture but we really could do with something bigger in the main room I feel. So, I am drawn to the Sonys' but I am struggling to see any good reason to pay £250-£350 more for the Sony OLED than the LG C1 or CX. Is there any good reason?

I'm interested by the new A1 as it looked as good visually as the C series but is cheaper. As a non- gamer, general tv, Sports, netflix, Prime type viewer, I'm wondering if the A1 will be a good compromise?

Being a rather cautious type and always having got years of use out of most home appliances , and even eg keeping cars for much longer than intended, I am hoping to get something to last for many years. I am, therefore a bit concerned about the dreaded screen burn issue. I don't think these tvs have been in use long enough for anyone to really give a reliable answer about this but , to me, it seems something of a gamble. Do LCD's last as long as the old ones too. Our current one is not even LED backlit.

I now know that I have to go to FALD if buying an LCD because of the HDR issue, hence my strong interest in the Sony 9505. I really dont think I am going to pick up on the minute visual details people always mention re OLED v LCD( the whole deeper blacks thing). I just hate those stand legs though, they look so ungainly.

Time is running out on the 2020 models and there are a few decent reductions around but maybe the A1 and C1 will have reduced more around Black Friday?

Our living room is quite a dark room generally and we dont watch at any acute angles.

Any observations re the differences between the OLED models, including the price differential for the Sony, and whether I would really notice the difference between the OLED's and the LCD in everyday general viewing would be appreciated.

I have the 49XH9505. It has a significantly higher contrast ratio than the larger sizes due to it not having the wide angle and anti reflection features on the 55" and larger models. Hence its black level performance is better and closer to an OLED. Since you will be viewing near head on and not in a bright room the absence of the enhancements should be a plus for you.
I was also concerned about the legs. However I have found them to be discreet and unobtrusive and have built in cable tidies. I have also found built in sound to be better than expected.
I think OLED's are the future but at present are a few years away from perfection. Not only is there the screen burn issue which several boast to have reduced logo risk but not burn in from newsbars. Also what is not made obvious is that you are supposed to turn the TV off for an hour after any continuous viewing period of 4 hours to let it recover!
Get the 49XH9505 an amazing TV before stocks run out

Currys is the worst place to see or buy a TV. If possible use Richer Sounds who will price beat and give 6 years warranty.

Thank you for the reply. I was only in Currys to view the tvs myself ,including the stands. ( as I say they didnt actually have the 9505). I dont think you can really tell much about the picture quality in any shop. Some of those half the price looked just as good.

If you really don’t like the feet, just get an after market stand.
I can’t see the feet on mine really, nicely hidden by the free soundbar that came with it ;)

At smaller sizes the OLEDs are ovepriced, at 55" its a little different. Hard to ignore the Sony 49XH9505, its widely recommended by people on here..including a couple of owners above :)

Been following this and all things Sony 49XH9505....... need to do my home work before I broker the 'deal of the century to the cookie jar police'......One question I have is what is the spread of the legs? i.e how deep are they...my shelf is 29cm deep and we need to turn it into the room slightly by about 10 degrees.......thank you...

RS has the various dimension in their spec

Thanks...sorry I should have been more specific........Not the distance between them, RS say 998mm, but I am after the width of the legs as my shelf is only 29cm and I need to turn the TV a bit...

I can measure later, but does it not have depth with legs?

According to John Lewis, see pic. 26.1cm deep. You can always add a table top stand but may be no better

Attachments

• AAE4B31D-B31E-4EE0-96F4-F75643C7A414.png
    AAE4B31D-B31E-4EE0-96F4-F75643C7A414.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 95
If you really don’t like the feet, just get an after market stand.
I can’t see the feet on mine really, nicely hidden by the free soundbar that came with it ;)
Is it straightforward to remove the feet and fit a 'universal' table top stand without risking any damage?

49xh9505 now £779 from Appliances Direct with 5 yr warranty so could try a price beat from RS
I can't quite work out the Richer Sounds guarantees. They talk about the 6 year guarantee for VIP members but I can't find whether this is an automatic thing for all tv's which they sell?

Is it straightforward to remove the feet and fit a 'universal' table top stand without risking any damage?
You just don’t fit the feet (nothing to remove unless you fit them) and attach the other to the vesa points, not sure what you’d damage

I can't quite work out the Richer Sounds guarantees. They talk about the 6 year guarantee for VIP members but I can't find whether this is an automatic thing for all tv's which they sell?
It’s automatic, phone them up to ask about the match (don’t bother emaiiing about it).

Call our national team on 0333 900 0093

The VIP membership is free anyhow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom