Help with shakey hands (IS?) & Club photos please!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by LeeroyB, Feb 12, 2009.

1. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all, hope you're well.

I am going to Brazil next month for 4 weeks and want to improve on my shots taken when I went 2 years ago.

One of the things I suffer from mainly is shakey hands, and although I do have a tripod it's not always convinient to carry with me or use. I have a 400D with the standard kit lens, but I'm sure you guys will agree an IS lens will benefit me heaps more. I hope so anyway!

My question is, if I sold my kit lens on eBay (?) what would be the best replacement for me to get, without spending a huge amount of money extra, to use in a number of situations? Would I be able to get a better focus range to cover more scenario's when taking photos, or would it be best to get one with the same range as my kit?

My friend and I will be Djing in clubs, but club shots I seem to have a big problem with. On my photography course my teacher said to use the flash, around 400 ISO and around 4 second shutter speed. I tried this out towards the end of last year as you will see from the photos below. But they were all very disappointing - apart from one, which I kind of liked the effect it had!

Can anyone please give me some tips?

Many thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    depends on budget, a simple upgrade would be to go for the new 18-55IS kit lens. Has IS and much better optics and is under £100

next option would be the Tamron 17-50 2.8. No IS but has a constant 2.8 which will help to get faster shutter speeds and optically it's even better. Can be had for around £200

next step would be the canon 17-55IS, great optics and IS but £600ish!

3. Calzor Suzay

Calzor Suzay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Looking at the exif data for 2 of your photos one is 1.6sec exposure the other 6 seconds, no amount of IS is really going to help for that long and in that time people will move. The two photos I looked at also show you in Shutter priority which will make the camera try and move the aperture so that the ambient light of the photo is well exposed and the flash is just used for fill in.

If you want to get the photo capturing people without the blur switch the camera to P or manual, what will happen though is the camera will probably switch to 1/60 second and fire the flash but not necessarily get the background lit. If you go with Av or Tv the camera will expose for the ambient light then use fill in flash and you end up with the ghost type effect you have, read more here.

4. Miko

Miko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey there,

I have shaky hands too - I can hand-hold my 400D with a non-IS lens at about 1/20 to 1/30 and with my IS lens I can still get sharp images when I drop the shutterspeed down to about 1/10.

I'd agree with the person above about either getting an IS lens (I'm fairly pleased that I went with the 17-85mm IS rather than the 400D kit lens when I purchased the body) or a fast lens at f/2.8, but also, I'd say it might be an idea to add a 50mm f/1.8 into the mix because they're cheap and fantastic.

Good luck!

M

5. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    manual mode, open aperture iso 800 or 1600, shutter around 0.3s depending on the effect wanted.

sorry can't be more help at the mo as I'm just about to run out the door so will help more after the w/e.

6. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had also taken some photos that night in manual and P mode. In fact I think I probably tried every mode, apart from auto, when none of the shots were coming out very good!

Thank you for the link you have posted. I'll have a good study of that and hope I see some improvements - eventually!

7. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks a lot Miko :)

I'm going to stick my kit lens on eBay and then have the money to put towards the IS kit lens.
    I've also had a look at the 50mm f/1.8 on ebay which you recommended. I can pick one up for around £60. What kind of shots could I expect to take with this lens please? Thanks

8. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you very much for the tip.

I know that buying an IS lens won't be the solution to all of my problems, but after having someone say 'hold the camera still' (my thought was 'thanks for that, don't you think I'd like to!) when I was taking a photo of them, I'm sure it'll be a good first step - I hope!

9. ljphil78

ljphil78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  10. Miko

Miko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No worries, Leeroy :)

With the 50mm, because of the wide aperture, you'll be able to handle low light better and end up with shallow depth of field shots. I thought it might work well for you because, looking at your photos, I think you'd probably like to get some portraits of DJ's (etc.)... think you could get some interesting stuff with the 50mm f/1.8.

Hope this helps.

M

11. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    50mm f1.8, definitely.

IS is good but won't help in low light when people are moving.

12. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So, my 50mm arrived today!

I do feel like a right wally, because I realised when it arrived that I can't actually zoom with it. Even though thinking about it, it's painfully obvious!
    I must admit, even though I should know, I don't think I'm going to be able to use it on as many shots as I would have liked when I go to Brazil next week. For the djing shots, sure, it will be great - I hope! But one of the places a bit of zoom might have come in handy is at the Iguacu Waterfalls, and similar place to that, or just things in general that I can't get close to.

Is this lens that good to be able to have it over one with a smaller range also?

Is there another cheap-ish lens which could be a 2nd choice to add to the collection for various shots?

Thanks.

13. jenufa

jenufa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    A Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS can be had for £185 and cover most of your shots you will take.

I'm sure other forum members who use Sigma & Tamron lenses will come up with some good options.

14. marchand

marchand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Strangely though I kinda like them all, they give that real clubbing effect

15. LeeroyB

LeeroyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that, although at this stage it is a little out of my price range. Unless I was to sell the 50mm to have the money to put towards it. But then with me being away from next Wednesday I wouldn't have time to do all of that.