1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by renier8, May 19, 2005.

1. renier8

renier8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    I need some help with my setup please.

This is what I have. Pioneer DVD player, Denon amp, and Panasonic plasma.

The video signal from the dvd player is linked with a component cable to the amplifier, and from there it goes to the Plasma again via component cable.

The adio signal comes from the dvd player via normal cable (the red and white plugs) to the amplifier.

1. Problem 1 : My picture and sound is slighly out of sink. It is worse on documentaries, and not so much on movies, but still noticeble. I tried to plug the component cable straight from the dvd player into the TV, and that solved the problem. But I assume that that is not the way it is supposed to be done. If anyone can give me some advice on the sync issue, I would really appreciate it.

2. Problem 2: My system is pumped into 5 fairly good speakers and a sub. I have not tweaked any settings on the amp or dvd - everything is factory set. Most movies seem to play in Pro logic 2 by default. However, in this setting I can hardly hear my sub at all. If I switch it to 5 point stereo, the sub comes alive. But I assume again, that this is not the way it is supposed to be. Any ideas please ?

Many thanks
    Renier

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Lip sync is quite a common problem due to the slight delay while the plasma processes the picture which is probably be made worse by the fact the picture is going via the amp. There's nothing wrong with connecting the DVD player directly to the screen it just means that you not using the amp as a video switcher.

You'd be better off connecting the amp & dvd player via a digital connection (either coax or optical depending on your kit) - this will give you DD and/or DTS rather than just pro logic.

HTH

John

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Which denon amp have you got? It may have adjustable master audio delay which will solve your lip sync problem, and John is right the DVD should be connected by digital coax or optical.

4. renier8

renier8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

1. I have replaced the analog connection with a COAX digital connection between the DVD player and the AMP. I have tried to connect the DVD player directly with the tv.

2. I have increased the distances of the front speakers in the setup.

3. I still have the lip sync problem. The sound is slightly ahead of the video.

4. I have a Denon 1905 amp.

5. Is it possible that the component cable can be causing it, compared to the S-video cable that I had in the beginning ?

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Renier

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It's the processing that the plasma has to do to display the picture that is causing the problem hence the reason you get the sound before the picture. I've had a look at Denon's website and there is no mention that I can see that the 1905 has an audio delay so, if the lip sync is that bad, you may have to buy something like the Felston audio delay: http://www.felston.com/ which will allow you to delay the audio so it matches the picture.

HTH

John