Help with setup Denon PMA720 and DCD720

rtdread

Novice Member
Hello,

Apologies for repeat questions, I see a few posts of a similar theme but I’m still a bit stuck on this one.

Can anyone offer me some advice on this setup?

I have a Denon PMA720AE amp paired with the DCD720AE CD player. I plan to get some HD600 headphones also.

The CD player also has USB, that I use to hook up my iPhone - can anyone tell me if this will just use the phone DAC and pass to the amp>then headphones? Or will it use the DAC used for the CD player> amp> headphones?

I am toying with the idea of a headphone amp to use with my laptop and phone for HD streaming - is this worth it or would the above being doing the same job for me? is a HP amp really worth it?

And how do I connect my laptop for HD streaming to the amp? USB to USB or should I use a Toslink to the audio optical in on the CD player - which says it's for a CD recorder, so I assume won't work?

PMA720AE manual
DCD720AE manual

Really appreciate some simple guidance here

Thanks all,

gibbsy

The Toslink on the CD player is out only. According to the manual the USB will take thumb drives and iPods. The USB will play via the headphone jack as normal.

As for the headphone jack or standalone amp then the amp has a Record Loop which is the connection need for a headphone. I would try the headphone jack first and if it is up to your expectations then that's fine.

I personally use a standalone headphone amp because my stereo amp doesn't have a headphone jack. It would have been my preferred connection regardless and the headphone amp is certainly better than the jack fitted to my Denon AV amp.

rtdread

Novice Member
Thanks for that. I currently use my Sure IEMs through the headphone jack - no real comparison but I did used to have a mobile external DAC and a few CD quality files on my mobile played through VOX - the sound was so addictive and I am keen to try and get that sort of sound through my amp or a headphone amp ready for Spotify HD.
Very tempted with headphone amp as I can then also move it easily to my desk or another room to use with the laptop.

Laptop USB to CDP USB - should that work? Will that use the laptop DAC - which I should think is not great, or the CDP DAC? I guess it’s already a digital signal so it won’t use the CDP DAC - unless I misunderstood that part.

gibbsy

Laptop USB to CDP USB - should that work? Will that use the laptop DAC - which I should think is not great, or the CDP DAC? I guess it’s already a digital signal so it won’t use the CDP DAC - unless I misunderstood that part.
The quality will depend on how good the sound card is in the laptop. Now that's as far as my knowledge goes on the sound quality from PCs.

I only use an SACD player for my music and alongside one of my players I use a headphone amp and love it. Like everything in audio the more you spend on amps and headphones the better they are going to sound. There are certainly plenty to choose from.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom