1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with setting up the speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iradek, Aug 1, 2003.

1. iradek

iradek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently upgraded my amp from Pioneer VSX510 to Yamaha RXV440. My speakers are: Eltax Liberty 1+, Eltax Liberty Centre and Eltax HT2 Bipolar. I bought Eltax liberty 5+ in order to have a complete 6.1 system. My problem is which speakers shall I use as rears and which on sides (Liberty 1+ or Bipolars?). How to place them? (what height and where exactly?).

On the back of my amp it says "centre rear" - how do you connect 2 speakers to only 1 terminal?

And last question - I've read here that dipoles are in fact bipoles but wired incorrectly - is that true? If so, why would anyone wire speakers incorrectly?

Thank you for your help

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Your Bipolar speakers should be placed on the side walls slightly in line or slightly behind your listening position. Just connect one speaker to the 'centre surround' channel.
    Bipolar speakers could be considered to be two monopolar speakers sitting back to back and wired in phase.
    ie. both sets of drive units would be traveling outwards at the same time, or inwards at the same time.
    Dipolar speakers are similar except that the two back to back speakers would be wired out of phase. ie. while one speakers units are moving outwards the other speakers units are moving inwards.
    The 'advantage' of bi or dipolar speakers is that they create a large and diffuse surround effect.
    Monopole speakers can give sharper imaging on multi channel music.
    I read somewhere in another thread that monopole speakers create the impression that sound is coming in to the room through open windows, while bi or dipolar speakers create the impression of being surrounded or immersed in the sound.

3. iradek

iradek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't help me, can you at least tell me where on the web I can find some guide to cinema speakers?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are web sites for Dolby and dts that will give you much information but you could always start here at the THX site where there is quite a lot of information about setting up speakers

5. iradek

iradek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, but I still don't know how to connect two speakers to the rear channel?