Help with setting up system new Denon AVR-1908

DrWolfenstein

Standard Member
Hello i have just bought a new denon 7.1 surround sound amp, i got it for £100 online. I'm just looking for some help with the set up, the speaker system i'm using is Wharfedale Moviestar set up.

The issues i'm wondering about are how do i actually connect it all up, i have a 42" panasonic led tv with 3 hdmi ports and obvs all other standard ports. These 3 HDMI ports are being used for my xbox, sky hd and my western digital live hub plus i have a sony bluray player which if i need to use i unplug the hdmi cable from the live hub an plug it into the bluray for the picture.

I'm just wondering how the hell do i go about setting this all up, i know i can work it out though i'm just looking for some help as in.

Do i use the HDMI ports on the amp? or Optical leads instead? as i said before i dont have anymore HDMI ports on the tv an i do not want to be pluggin unplugging for sound and so on. So help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all on avforums who can help me with this :):lease:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Does the 1908 do sound over HDMI? If it does then connect all your HDMI sources direct to the amp except the sky box. Then have one HDMI from the reciever to the TV. For Sky you need to connect an optical cable to the reciever since it only sends stereo via the HDMI (so need optical for 5.1).

DrWolfenstein

Standard Member
Does the 1908 do sound over HDMI? If it does then connect all your HDMI sources direct to the amp except the sky box. Then have one HDMI from the reciever to the TV. For Sky you need to connect an optical cable to the reciever since it only sends stereo via the HDMI (so need optical for 5.1).

ahh i shall check about the sound. What i'm concerned about is if i run the hdmi's from my xbox,bluray and live hub. how will i get the pictures from them? as they all only have one hdmi port on the backs of them?

DrWolfenstein

Standard Member
Amplifier power (watts) 7 x 85 watts (8 ohms, RMS) - configurable for 7.1 or 5.1 with front channels bi-amped.....................Snip

"Key decoding Dolby: Digital, EX, Pro-Logic II/x DTS: ES, 96/24, Neo:6 Supports HD audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD & Dolby Digital Plus via HDMI when converted to linear PCM at source"

Last edited by a moderator:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To get picture from them you have a HDMI from the reciever to the TV that takes the picture to the TV. You then use the reciever to switch between the different sources. So it is source to reciever via HDMI and reciever to TV via HDMI.
Your reciever does do audio over HDMI and to get HD audio you need to set your bluray player to decode the HD audio and send it via PCM on the HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom