1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Setting Up REL STRATA 5 pls

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bass007, Jun 28, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi All, After months of saving I now have My Strata 5, being my first sub, I'm a bit confused, I've set all my speakers to THX(SMALL) which I understand cuts the frequency on my Amp (Onkyo TDS-898) to 80hz, now when setting the sub frequency what should I set it to? its ranges fron 16-99 I think.

Second Problem, there is a volume set up on the Amp itself and of course on the sub, which one do I use when using the spl meter as I guide? The instructions in the manual for AV set up is pretty poor IMHO.

Third problem, there is the low & Hight level conectors, after reading many reviews, one in particular suggested you conect both Hi & Low to the AV Amp as sometimes bass is missed in the final process of the LFE, has anyone configuered there sub in this way, and achieved an improvement?

Thanx

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have set the the sub crossover on the amp to 80Hz you don't want to use the crossover on the sub at all. I don't know how you achieve this on the Strata 5 but on older versions there used to be a mode switch and that should be set to number 2. I don't think they still use that but there may be some other way to configure the Strata to accept LFE only and switch off the internal crossover.

If you can't switch it off try switching as high as possible.

Set the gain control on the sub to about one third then use the amp's levels to set the overall volume level with your SPL meter.

I would suggest that you get it all setup with just the low level LFE connection first and once you are happy with that you may want to try out the high level speaker connections too but I believe that most of us don't bother

3. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanx Ian J, just wondering I only assume that my amp cuts the frequency at 80hz when speaker are set to THX (SMALL).

I'll have to find out how to defeat the crossover on the Sub, just one more thing when you say set the frequency as high as possilble do you mean 16hz or 99hz ? all this has become stressfull, oh when you use the internal test tones on the Amp the volume on the sub should not have an effect right? or am I wrong? for example when I use the internal test tone for the speakers regardless of the master volume it sends the test tone at a set volume, is the sub different?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have a THX amp the sub crossover will automatically be set to 80Hz when in THX mode.

By setting the crossover switch on the sub as high as possible I mean at the 99Hz and not the 16Hz end.

The test tones in the amp are output at a fixed level and you use the level adjustments within the amp setup to set all speaker levels including the sub

5. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I will try tonight when I get home hopefully should be ok, thanx for you help I really do appreciate it. Cheers

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi bass 007, as Ian says if you read through the REL manual there should be a mode selector which allows you to bypass the crossover in the REL as you should use the digital crossover in the amp. when Calibrating your speaker levels make sure they are set to 75db. To be honest with an AV amp I would forget about the high level connection to th REL as I dont think you will see much benifit. Also if all yor speakers are standmounters or small floorstanders then setting the cross over to bass restricted is fine, but if you have larger designs (e.g ones which go down to around 40hz) dont waste their capabilities, set them to large.

7. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hi, I'll check the manual properly tonight for the defeat options, and let you all know how I get on tonight, hopefully I'll will sound good, oh by the my speaker are the M&K K-series all small

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Let us know what you think of the Strata 5 too :)

9. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I felt I had to make a reply to this, as I think I have successfully installed the Strata V and I am very very pleased with the results.

I am by no means an expert, but in laymans terms here is what I did.

I followed page 14 and 15 of the REL manual (this needs some improvement and re-write). This explains exactly how to configure the High Level input, you do this by ear, first just concentrating on the bass line of a CD track (played in stereo or direct mode), get the high level frequency of the sub to about 50Hz and the volume to about 50, then whilst concentrating on the bassline, switch the phase from 0 to 180 and then settle on the loudest setting.

Then you can adjust the volume and frequency on the high level to suit, this can then be saved to a preset.

Now, onto the Low Level or LFE set-up. Connecting to this input automatically overides the Frequency and hands over this control to your amp/receiver/processor. So set the gain on the LFE to something like 30/40/50 and run the levels on your kit, you normally adjust the sub levels by like +1/+2/+3dB or -1/2/3dB etc etc. Keep running this tone and adjust the gain of the Strata V until you get the appropriate sound level setting (75dB) with the level on your amp/rec/processor set to 0dB.

Save this setting to another of the 4 memories.

Then you can trim the sound with the Slam/Depth setting on the Strata V, again saving the settings once you are happy.

REL suggest setting your speakers to large (if appropriate) this allows the High Level (Neutrik) connection to add sub support to stereo replay and then only use the Low Level input for films, this seems to make sense.

Hope this helps....

oh and how does it sound? well nothing scientific, other than it seems to disappear seemlessly into my set-up, you cannot really tell it is there, other than the following;

For stereo or direct playback of CD's the music seems to have more depth, and certainly sound more dynamic.

For movies, wow, the trousers certainly move, and without measuring, I think the Strata V goes down lower than 16Hz, somewhere in the 12-14 region.

ENJOY ! :)

10. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Will try soon, all you suggestions have been helpfull, will report back as soon I get results...hmmm good or bad

11. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    well after spending hours, I did make some progress, but as it got late didn't want to upset the neigbours, but I think I manged do about 80% of it, just one problem really now I using the supplied Phono lead that came with the sub, which to be qute honest is of below average for patch cords, anyway due to the cable I think I can hear a buzzing sound when I turn the sub volume up audiable from 30 onwards which is extremly irriating esspecially on low levl lisening, I hope it is the Interconnect, will have get a another six meter sub cable, possibly the QED contour which is only 2.5mm in diameter.

But to be quite honest, even though its not 100% set up to my satisfaction it really sounds amazing, never had on sub on my system, and I always complained about not hearing the rear channels when I got them, but now wow everything seen so much more intergrated, and smooth, and low level lisenting on the strata 5 is excellent. Will report back after getting another cable hop its no the sub:(

12. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm still getting a buzzing sound from my sub, when I switch my tv off it it disapears, cound it be that sub cable from REL is not shielded enough? really anyoing:( will get new cable on sat QED one for about 20.00

13. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

14. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    base007

I would say the optimum setting is the setting on the sub, that allows the correct level of test tone (say 75dB) without addjusting any level gain at your amp/receiver end... let me know if this makes sense.

Re. your humming sound. I struggled for years with this sort of problem. Check to see if your TV has all three pins wired, thus it is earthed. If it is not, this may point to your problem.

Temporarily, run an extension lead to your REL, so that you can plug it in on a different ring main (eg. try plugging the REL in upstairs, TV downstairs).

This would point to a main related issue.

Let me know how it goes.

15. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes it could be the Tv, I'll tonight, thanx.

Ragrding the test tone do you mean I should get 75 on my spl meter without adjusting the test tone gain? if that is the case I better sort out the main cause last night I got fed up of the Buzz sound and turned it down fron 55 to 26 and used the internal test tone gain control to reach 75 on the spl meter. Another thing is hard to get the sub to register 75, sometimes its jumps fron 70 to 80 ??...

16. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mine has a very very slight humm, but you need to really stick you ear on it.

Yes, I did mean adjust the gain on the sub, so that your test tone is output at near to 0dB adjustment at the amp end.

f your REL is really buzzing, give REL a call and ask their advice, it may be dodgy, or again may be a grounding issue.

17. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would say it is a grounding issue. I had the same problem with my Eltax Atomic 8 and isolating the earth from the other hi-fi sources cured the problem

18. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Talked to an installer today and mentioned this issue to him, he said that it sounding like some sort of ground loop issue. You need to isolate the offending piece of equipment, which could even be something like a fridge in the kitchen, on the same ring main.

How's it going ?

19. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, after a week of having the sub still no joy, I have purchases a QED contour sub cable which almost eliminated the buzzing sound (like many of you said I think the TV is causing the interference the third pin in the plug is plastic.

Now on setting it up, I spoke to my local sevenoaks dealer, and he gave me some advice, He said I should use more of the sub Volume and less output from the Reciver, for example, test tone(pink Noise) on the sub out the range is -15 to +12 he said the out on the reciver should be between -15 to -10 and use the volume on the sub to reach the holy 75db on the SPL meter. The reason is that the sub should amplifiy the signal not the Amp, and that having the output on the Reciever to high, the signal could conatin distortion therefore you don't want to amplify a distorted signal. Any thoughts?

I've done it, but I'm sure theres something wrong just doesn't sound 100% if you know what I mean. I no bass freak its my first sub, I never listen loud -30 being the max, the sound doesn't go as low as I thought it would. For example when playing the THX Trailers seems to reach a point and the bass dissapears??...

20. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is because you have the level set too low on your receiver, you need to find a happy medium.

21. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    almost two weeks on, still trying to get it right getting better but not quite there yet. Advice needed, when calibrating the sub out using the SPL Meter , I was just wondering, do I set the Slam/Depth to 0? and then adjust it to taste after?

22. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Most definitely.

23. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    After a few weeks of tweeking and setting up I think I'm alomost there, the sub is breaking in, sound tighter and more controlled with each film. I have just one query, being a novice with Subs, I still think, maybe I have a hole in the frequency range but I'm not sure if its my imagination... How do I go about finding out? do I need a test disc...measuring equipment? cheers

24. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    try a disc like finding nemo with a thx optimizer.