Help With Setting Up A Onkyo TXSR606

Mike9985

Standard Member
This is my first post so please be gentle. I've always had an interest in home cinema, and have only had experience with all in one systems. I'm now looking to make the step up in class. I just bought a Sony KDL40W4000, and now want a good surround sound to go with it. Here's the list.

ONKYO txsr606,
ONKYO dvsp406,
and some Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers.

Here's the list of connections

TV
DVD
Sky HD
PS3

I would really appreciate someone who knows alot more about this then me to tell me exactly what cables would be required.

Thanks in advance.

dwhite

DVD, Sky and PS3 connected by HDMI to amp. HDMI from amp to TV.

The SKYHD will also need an optical cable to the amp as sky don't ouput 5.1 over HDMI. You then need to assign the optical input to the HDMI input for sky.

Mike9985

Standard Member
DVD, Sky and PS3 connected by HDMI to amp. HDMI from amp to TV.

The SKYHD will also need an optical cable to the amp as sky don't ouput 5.1 over HDMI. You then need to assign the optical input to the HDMI input for sky.
Thanks very much for that, really appreciated.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I would really appreciate someone who knows alot more about this then me to tell me exactly what cables would be required.
A good place to start would be your local independent dealer who should be able to supply all the kit you need as well as offer technical advice on how to hook it all up or if required a home installation service.

Mike9985

Standard Member
A good place to start would be your local independent dealer who should be able to supply all the kit you need as well as offer technical advice on how to hook it all up or if required a home installation service.

There's a richer sounds just round the corner, Im gonna give them a ring and see what's the best price they can do the lot for. I know they'll knock some off, just not sure how much.

Richardod

Standard Member
just a quick question on this amp would the tannoy sfx 5.1 speakers be ok to go with this amp ? as they are quite small and would suit my living room.Or are there better smallish speakers about for the same money (£250 ish)

Kryptix

Novice Member
Mike9985 -- don't pay a lot of money for HDMI cables. A £5 HDMI cable will do the job just as well as a £150 HDMI cable. :smashin:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
in your humble opinion...
But of course he is correct :cool: there have been plenty of tests to confirm it :D unless of course you have bought yourself a £150 & need someone to acknowledge the benefits ;) I'm sure it works very well for you; just as a £3 one would, unless of course it's over 15 metres long :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom