Help with series x/s controller

Snazzy93

Novice Member
Hi all! I was a lucky one and snagged a series x a little more than a year ago right after they first dropped. I love it, but not so much the controllers they come with.

About a month after I got it, the B button on the controller it came with started getting "sloppy" if thats the correct term. It did function, but you couldnt feel it, if that makes sense. Microsoft warrentied it. 6 months later the new controller got stick drift that I couldnt adjust out of it. Since it was out of warrenty I tore it apart, cleaned it, no difference. (Yes it was updated, yes I put new batteries in it.) So i spent $70 on a new one. Its currently 5 months old, and the RB, and A button are both "sloppy."

Am I the only one having such serious issues with these controllers? I consider myself a somewhat serious gamer, (I play alot of fast paced COD match games,) but by no means serious enough to spend $200 on an elite 2. I do tend to play with a pretty heavy hand. I blame that on years of playing with worn out controllers in my childhood, where you actually DID have to press buttons harder for them to work. I still dont think i should have worn out 3 controllers in 14 months...

If anyone else is having my issue, what controller would you recomend? Im on track to spend as much on controllers as I did the console...

anlygi

Me and my teen both have Shock Blue Series X/S contollers we use with our PCs that are a year old now and we have a Series S in the house played by my wife and a 5 year old, practically daily since launch, and not a single problem with any of them. That's not to say it doesn't happen, my teen has two sets of Joy Cons with his Switch that are over 3 years old now and not a hint of drift on any of them either.

It probably is your heavy hand, but you might just be unlucky. I went through at least 5 PS4 controllers from memory and with me it was due to me being very heavy with the left analogue stick in some games, particularly FIFA. My controllers stopped breaking when I stopped playing that.

I remember reading fairly recently however that modern controllers have a life expectancy under 500 hours, which isn't a lot for a 'serious' gamer if you only have one. The ones we have for PC don't get constant use, only games where a keyboard and mouse aren't ideal.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Surely if the controller is under 12 months you can get it replaced ?

If you don't mind wired then the PowerA 3rd party controllers are pretty decent. I got a Spectre One for £35 and very happy with it so far. It has extra buttons, trigger stops and a bargain for £35.

My Elite Series 2 is having issues with the Bumpers and it's nearly 2 years old. I would probably end up replacing it with the PowerA Fusion controller for £75 rather than £150.

Only downside is they are all wired but I can manage with that.

JayKay70

My Elite Series 2 is having issues with the Bumpers and it's nearly 2 years old.

I have repaired two of my sons elite controllers who both had bumber issues by taking the top cover off (very easy to do) and douse the bumper switches in isopropyl alcohol.....they both worked a treat after that.

NOTE: This does not mean it will work for everyone but worth a try if the controller is out of warranty.

adbailey18

Distinguished Member

If you don't mind wired then the PowerA 3rd party controllers are pretty decent. I got a Spectre One for £35 and very happy with it so far. It has extra buttons, trigger stops and a bargain for £35.

My Elite Series 2 is having issues with the Bumpers and it's nearly 2 years old. I would probably end up replacing it with the PowerA Fusion controller for £75 rather than £150.

The warranty replacement would of only come with a 3 month warranty.

I've had one controller get stick drift, became difficult navigating menus but the replacement is still solid.

In all my years gaming on XBOX though can't remember the last time I had one break, generally only replace them to just have that 'new' feeling!

King Tones

Distinguished Member
The warranty replacement would of only come with a 3 month warranty.

I've had one controller get stick drift, became difficult navigating menus but the replacement is still solid.

In all my years gaming on XBOX though can't remember the last time I had one break, generally only replace them to just have that 'new' feeling!
Ah didn't realise it would just be 3 months, that's a bit crap.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I have repaired two of my sons elite controllers who both had bumber issues by taking the top cover off (very easy to do) and douse the bumper switches in isopropyl alcohol.....they both worked a treat after that.

NOTE: This does not mean it will work for everyone but worth a try if the controller is out of warranty.
Cheers worth a go as it is just the bumpers playing up. Have taken it apart and took out the plastic paper sleeve that covers them and seems to be working better now. If they keep failing will give that a go. Don't want to go down the route of replacing them as it looks really fiddly and don't have a soldering iron to hand.

Dexy

Is it not a 2 year warranty with the elite controllers? Im sure mine was coming up to 2 years when I got it replaced.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Is it not a 2 year warranty with the elite controllers? Im sure mine was coming up to 2 years when I got it replaced.
Not sure, think it was something like 15/16 months and expired end of last year. Plus it has been opened so doubt they would honour it anyways if I sent it back. Some places do offer repair for about £35.

Snazzy93

Novice Member
Wow i didnt think i would get so many replies so quick!!

It is to my understanding that the original controller has a 2 year warrenty, but as stated, the replacement only has a 3 month.

I honestly think my heavy hand playing has a lot to do with this. Ive played loads of fallout, red dead, forza, whatnot. I didnt really start with this problem until i got into the fast paced COD matches. Come to think of it, it wasnt untill i started getting "good" that i started having this issue. (By good i mean at least not dying 3 steps away from spawn. Im still by no means good lol.)

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
How good are you at soldering?

As for sticky buttons, disassembling and cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol usually does the trick.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom