Help with Seleco SDG-900 PLUS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pteittinen, Dec 6, 2003.

1. pteittinen

pteittinen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but not to HT, so feel free to give me grief for silly newbie questions :)

By a brilliant stroke of luck, I purchased a very little used SDG-900 PLUS from the USA. It took a while to get it installed in my new house, but it's up there now, though the setting up isn't quite finished yet. I did have a very brief glimpse of the PQ from a Samsung 935 through DVI and the four-meter wide picture looked absolutely fantastic at 720P (or 1080i, I'm not sure which one the player was running at the moment.)

However, I've got a problem and was hoping to find some help from fellow European HT enthusiasts.

It took some searching, but I finally located a component input module for the PJ. It's a board initially made for the SDG-700, but Seleco's Finnish distributor assured me it would work just fine in the 900. So I bought it, and paid dearly for it, too - only to find that the picture keeps rolling diagonally from top left to bottom right. The PJ keeps flashing a text claiming that there's no sync from SLOT C (i.e. the component input module).

The rolling occurs with both progressive scan and interlaced signals. The manual keeps talking of jumpers JMP1 and JMP2 which both need to be set to "DVD" for the board to get the sync from the Y connector. But the board does not have jumpers JPM1 and JMP2, though it looks identical to the one shown in the manual (small and blurry pic, though).

So I wrote down the module's model and serial numbers and sent them to Seleco via their Finnish distributor. The answer I got wasn't what I hoped for: apparently the module is an older version, which doesn't support progressive scan - and the newer module is no longer available. They didn't comment on the missing jumpers, nor on the fact that I can see the picture just fine with both progscan and interlaced, though both keep rolling diagonally.

My setup is such that I absolutely need progressive scan via component input. Any help on the matter would be very much appreciated.

cheers,
    petri

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A clear but rolling picture would suggest that the projector is capable of accepting the scan rate, it's just having trouble locking onto the sync.

I have to admit that I've never used the Prog Scan component board with a 700/900. Most UK installs use an external line doubler or scaler, so the signal is RGBHV at the projector end.

Regards

3. chris9682

chris9682
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Chris has said i think it would be much better if you could get a refund on the component input card and purchase a scaler such as centrestage, lumagen or similar. Do a search on the forum and you will find much more info.
    good luck
    chris

4. pteittinen

pteittinen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Chris & Chris :)

Unfortunately I can't get a refund on the card, because I purchased it from another Seleco owner, who'd had the card for a couple of years without ever using it (or so he said).

Yeah, a scaler/doubler is definitely a viable option but one I don't have money for. I'm not too keen on the idea of buying an inexpensive one and suffering quality-wise, and I understand the good ones are quite expensive.

What I don't understand is why the PJ won't lock into an interlaced signal, as the Y-connector quite clearly has the marking "Y / Ysync" above it...

Guess I'll pester Seleco directly for circuit diagrams and part lists for the progscan-capable module.

cheerio,
    petri

5. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Petri,

If memory serves well, along with your component input board should have been a eprom with some new software which is needed to activate the component card correctly, this will certainly cure your problem.

Please press the info button on the remote and have a look at the software version, perhaps you can email it to me at [email protected] and I will attempt to locate the latest version for you, although I cannot make any promises that I will be successful as the unit has been out of production for some time now.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Managing Director
    SIM2 UK Ltd

6. pteittinen

pteittinen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello Alan,

and thank you very much for the offer. I'll check the software version and will drop you an e-mail very soon.

cheers,
    petri