Help with Samsung Plasma

mordredking

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an old(er) Samsung Plasma 42' PS42A456 TV. I'm having a problem where when turning it on, the red standby light comes on for maybe a second, then goes off. I have taken the back off before and fiddled around and managed to get it working before but my electricity ran out last night now it won;t come on. ANy ideas how to fix?

I have taken the back off before and fiddled around and managed to get it working before but my electricity ran out last night now it won;t come on. ANy ideas how to fix?

Yes, put money in your electric meter. 😄
Seriously, you can't repair TVs by "fiddling around".

Well that's how I got it working again before!
Does anyone know what is causing it and if it's repairable?

Thanks for that but the problem is that I can't get the TV to stay on standby. Like I say, the light comes on for 1, maybe 2, seconds, then goes off.

With respect your problem isn't the standby light going out, your problem is you have no pic or sound...correct?

If the standby led is going out that suggests a fault in the primary of the power supply circuit and ideally you need to use a multimeter to check voltages and continuity etc.
Basically you need to start from the mains power lead and check that power is getting to the power board etc and do a visual inspection for dry solder joints especially around the power transistors bolted to the heatsink.
Do not attempt this or remove the back before unplugging the power lead and give the set 24 hours for voltages to decay as components can retain a charge and give you a jolt.
It's all very well trying to save money by having a go at a repair yourself but I wouldn't attempt this unless you can solder neatly and are comfortable handling electronic components because I've seen many a set ruined by ham-fisted amateurs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom