• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with Samsung LCD to Sky + to Denon

Sabre

Established Member
Guys

Recently got burgled and the gits nicked my Samsung LCD.

Long story short but replaced it with the Samsung LE26B450 which only has one scart.

Originally had two scarts and connected Sky + and Denon DHT500SD to TV both via scart.

Please can you advise best way to manage these components so that I can have all sound through the Denon? For those not familiar with the TV or Denon I am talking about, the TV specs are here:

Samsung LE26B450 technical specifications - from the experts at whathifi.com

Denon specs are here:

DISCONTINUED DENON DHT500SD DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM (MULTI-REGION) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/1974 for details

Finally, I am seriously considering getting Sky + HD. Am I right to presume that I can do:

Sky + HD --- HDMI ---- TV
Denon --- Scart ---- TV
Sky + HD ---- Optical ---- Denon

Also, if I do purchase a replacement Xbox 360 or go for a PS3, what's the best way to connect it to this setup as well?

Thanks a lot for your help

Trev

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Do you really need the Freeview to go through the surround sound unit? You didn't mention any TV audio connection in your (correct) Sky+HD cabling. Personally I would just leave the TV with its own speakers for quiet viewing. Sky+ has twin tuners, so you can watch one channel and record another. Obviously if you watch Freeview a lot and want 'pseudo' surround sound, you'll need an audio connection from the TV to the amp. It has both analogue and optical. I would use analogue for now, if you must. Should you add an Xbox 360 or PS3 in the future, use the spare optical input for the console. There is a sticky post in the Xbox 360 forum re. HDMI and optical. Have a read of that if you go for an Xbox 360 again (my mate picked up a replacement premium for £120 in Asda the other night)

Re. connecting the Sky+ and Denon to the TV. Use the SCART connection for the Sky+ and ensure it is set to RGB/16:9/SCART Control On in the picture settings menu. Use Component video (also known as YUV or YpBpR) green/blue/red connections to connect the Denon to the TV and set it to progressive scan if supported on both the Denon and TV.

Sabre

Established Member
Hi Dave

Thanks for your response.

I don't use the Freeview at all to watch TV. We only use Sky and don't even have an aerial for terrestrial.

The ideal for me is to have surround sound for Sky + as we watch a lot of the movie channels and would like to take advantage of the surround sound for these. It's also better IMHO to have the full use of the Denon if we listen to the radio through Sky.

Where you talk about connecting Sky + via scart and the Denon via component, how is the sound transmitted for the Denon?

The Denon definitely supports Progressive Scan but setting it so may be an issue as the burglars took the controller for it so I need a replacement! They didn't take the controller for the LCD they nicked!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
To where? The sound is processed and amplified and sent to its own speakers. If you mean the TV, simply connect the red/white analogue output to the TV input which will be next to the comonent video inputs. I'm not sure why you would want to do this, I thought it was surround sound you were after!

Sabre

Established Member
To where? The sound is processed and amplified and sent to its own speakers. If you mean the TV, simply connect the red/white analogue output to the TV input which will be next to the comonent video inputs. I'm not sure why you would want to do this, I thought it was surround sound you were after!

Sorry but I am utterly confused. I think all you're saying is:

Sky + --- SCART ---- TV
Denon ---- COMPONENT ---- TV

Just having these two set up like this will mean that I can get Sky + audio through my Denon amp/speakers as well as watch DVD's via the Denon with sound through the Denon and picture through the TV? If that is the case then that's great. Otherwise, please just demonstrate what I should do with a diagram as the lingo is confusing the hell out of me!

Thanks!

ows90

Established Member
Sky + --- SCART ---- TV
Denon ---- COMPONENT ---- TV

Just having these two set up like this will mean that I can get Sky + audio through my Denon amp/speakers as well as watch DVD's via the Denon with sound through the Denon and picture through the TV? If that is the case then that's great.

DVDs, fine, but to hear the Sky+ though the Denon's speakers you will also need to connect an optical audio cable from the Sky+ to the Denon's "OPT. IN" socket. You would then press 'FUNCTION' on its remote such that "Video 2" is displayed, (you might also have to press 'INPUT MODE' to set it to Digital input rather than Analogue).

You will also need to set 'Optical Output' to 'Dolby D' in the Sky+ Sound Settings menu. (Remembering to also set the Picture Settings to those that Dave mentioned earlier.)

Sabre

Established Member
I've now got a PS3. Hurrah.

I plan to connect it to the telly via HDMI for picture.

My Denon only has one optical socket which I was planning to use for Sky+.

How do I get sound to play through the Denon from the PS3?

Cheers

Trev

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Buy either a toslink splitter, which should work as long as only one of them is on at once, or a 3 way manual switch. Tvcables and audiovisualonline sell them.

Connect both sources to the splitter/switch and then run a single optical cable to the input on the Denon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom