Help with Samsung HD950 + LG32LX2R

V

vr360homes

I have just got my LG32LX2R LCD TV and hooked it up to my HD950 via the HDMI cable that came with the DVD player but the highest res it will give me is 576p @ 50HZ. I don't know alot about this but I understood that the DVD player upscaled the signal to give me 720 or even 1080 res which it supposed to be better, what am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Lee

Hi amorenod,

So what you are saying is that I can't use the hdmi cable if I want to watch dvd's in the higher res? I don't have a component cable so will have to get one, are the monster cables any good?

Is it worth the cost of the cable to get the better PQ or should I just stick with HDMI cable that came with the DVD?

Once I have oone what is the procedure? If you could make this idiot proof as I don't know much about this.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Yes, you can use HDMI, but first you'll have to set the DVD to the resolution you want using component.

You'll want to use HDMI, the PQ with component is not that great with this player.

Procedure:

-Disconnect the HDMI cable from the player
-Connect the component cable to player and TV (obviously)
-Do the region hack
-Set the resolution you want to use
-Disconnect component and connect HDMI

About the component cable, it's wise to keep a cheap one available, to do the procedure again if needed (except the region hack), because changing the resolution using HDMI will set it back to 576p.

However, there's no problem with resolutions & HDMI, if the player is set to NTSC instead of PAL

On the Samsung HD-745 (DVI model), you do not need to perform the region hack to get digital HD output. The MR hack is only to achieve HD over component.

In order to get the HD-745's DVI to output, you need to change the Display setup to Video Output Component (P-SCAN & DVI).

This initially only gives 576p, then you need to press the DVI SEL. button on the remote to toggle through 576p > 720p > 768p (only 768x1024 may not display) > 1080i.

It is not very clear from the HD-745 manual, so I suspect the manual has not been improved on the HD-950.

The DVI Sel button might be called HDMI sel. on the HD-950.

Good luck.....

That's the problem, HDMI SEL does nothing if the player is set to pal.

I went and brought a cheap set of component leads but when I plug them in the TV does not pick the signal and just says No Signal.

Any ideas?

Lee

amorenod said:
That's the problem, HDMI SEL does nothing if the player is set to pal.

Strange............should of read your post :) .

Well makes me feel a little bit better about my cheap old HD-745!

VR360Home,

On the HD-745 I can set NTSC mode, even with R2 discs, you could try this approach before attempt MR hack.

amorenod said:
Yes, you can use HDMI, but first you'll have to set the DVD to the resolution you want using component.

You'll want to use HDMI, the PQ with component is not that great with this player.

Procedure:

-Disconnect the HDMI cable from the player
-Connect the component cable to player and TV (obviously)
-Do the region hack
-Set the resolution you want to use
-Disconnect component and connect HDMI

About the component cable, it's wise to keep a cheap one available, to do the procedure again if needed (except the region hack), because changing the resolution using HDMI will set it back to 576p.

However, there's no problem with resolutions & HDMI, if the player is set to NTSC instead of PAL

Does it matter if the player is set to PAL or NTSC? I mean, I only have PAL discs, but they seem to work fine when the player is set to NTSC also. And when set to NTSC, I can choose 720p and 1080i. When the player is set to PAL, I can only choose 576p.

(I really can't see any difference in 480p (ntsc), 576p (pal), 720p)ntsc) or 1080i(ntsc) on my LCD, but I sleep better knowing that I have the best possible PQ)

I think the R2 discs are 576i50 which the player upscales/de-interlaces to 576p50 for PAL output.

If you use NTSC mode then the player is expecting 60Hz material, so there is an issue, when it downscales and de-interlaces and converts 576i50 to 480p60 then upscales to 720p60.

I think NTSC 60Hz films played on PAL may skip frames, and PAL films played on NTSC can run faster, or have repeated frames (the repeated frames happens on my PC player 60Hz screen res.).

If you haven't noticed it do not worry about it......

I may not have described the incompatibility properly but one does exist. I am quite sure someone will correct me :hiya:

I just found this link, some bedtime reading....

http://www.paradiso-design.net/videostandards_en.html

It seems PAL R2 DVD's have a shorter running time to uncut NTSC R1 DVD's, must re-read that link, maybe in the morning.

vr360homes said:
I went and brought a cheap set of component leads but when I plug them in the TV does not pick the signal and just says No Signal.

Any ideas?

Lee

There's button in the DVD remote, input select, if I remember correctly, tap it until you see a pic.

I have an HD-950 myself and there was no need for hacks or anything to get it to work. I just plugged the HDMI cable into my Panasonic TX32LX500 and everything works just fine without changing anything. The HDMI select button on remote changes digital output between 576p, 720p and 1080i. I only play PAL discs.

The only bad thing that can be said about the player is that it does not play DVD-RWs well, not the brand I'm using anyway (Verbatim). The remote is also a little irresponsive.

Really? Then there's a problem between the Samsung and the LG TV. It's difficult to check, I don't have any other 720p/1080i Pal source. The fact that this combination works after setting the pal resolution with component, makes it even more strange.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom