Help With RX-V1900

underworldmagic

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Yamaha RX-V1900 and have a quick question, Im very new to setting up this equipment.

Can you please tell me how many subs i can plug to this amp, as there are two ports on the back which say "Centre" and another which says "Subwoofer" Can you please tell me what these mean?

I have a picture of this on this message to help you see what i mean

Thanks all.

http://www.underworldmagic.com/avforums/sub.jpg

They are Pre Outs, In normal circmstances you would only use one labelled sub for the one subwoofer.

underworldmagic

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply,

Can you please tell me what these ports are for? If i plug the Sub into the "subwoofer" port, then what is the "centre" one used for?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply,

Can you please tell me what these ports are for? If i plug the Sub into the "subwoofer" port, then what is the "centre" one used for?
Thanks.
Pre Amp outputs are for unamplified output to a second amplifier. In the case of an active sub it has its own amplifier.

Thanks,

In the case where the sub is not "active" - where can it be plugged into?
That depends on sub and whether it has the necessary inputs and outputs.

What sub is it and does it have the facility to do this?

Ive just got the amp after researching on this forum - ive still to decide on the speakers and sub setup.
Get an active sub which most(all) are and you will have no worries. I only asked as some people try to integrate their unamplifed all in one theatre in a box unpowered sub into their new system.

thanks for the advice,

i'll make sure i get a active sub, What is the "centre" port for?
Your picture suggests its a pre out for the centre but presumably you have a corresponding + and - terminal on the centre speaker outputs elsewhere (and all other speaker outputs) to connect your centre speaker to.

sp_harris

What is the "centre" port for?
if you look at the pic of the back of the amp it has a section called pre-outs - with connections for centre, sub, left, right, etc...

My limited understanding is that if you had separate power amps to drive your speakers, you would connect from these pre-outs to the power amps. I've read about people having a second separate stereo amp just music that drives their front left and right speakers. For music they use the stereo/music amp that is connected to the left and right speakers. For 5.1 sound they use the main amp to drive the centre and rear speakers, then the main amp send signals for left and right to stereo amp to drive the left and right. Given that your amp is very nice, powerful and high spec (in my opinion) - I wouldn't worry about this unless you are really really into your music sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom