1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with room layout

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gdunbar, May 13, 2005.

1. gdunbar

gdunbar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have just moved into my new flat and am in the process of setting up my new plasma tv and 5.1 system. The setup is as follows -

Panasonic 42PE50 plasma
    Yamaha DSPA2 amp
    KEF Q35 floorstanders
    KEF Q95C centre
    Monitor audio bronze BFX rears
    No sub as of yet

Room is 5m in length by just over 4m width, with a large bay window at the end. Quite a nice overall shape, but I am unsure as to the placement of the plasma - attached are two drawings of setups I was considering. I have a single armchair with foorstool, a 3 seater sofa, and a large table to place. More than happy to arrange the room around the 5.1 setup, as it is just me living there. The rear speakers will be wall mounted, but at present I was not too sure wether the system would sound better going the length of the room as in picture 'lounge1', or across the room as in 'lounge2'. In the 2nd setup, the rears would go nicely on the side walls just before the start of the bay window, but would this have an adverse affect on sound placing them in a corner?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Gavin.

Attached Files:

2. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1st of all,congratulations on buying the new PE50.

Ideally you want to be able to sit opposite the TV whether that is going to be in the chair or on the sofa as the last thing you want to do is keep turning your head to watch TV.
    Your room is actually very similar in size and layout to mine and I have opted to mount the plasma above the fireplace and face the main sofa from the opposing wall (see pic). Placing the speakers in a corner shouldn't cause any problems as long as they are mounted with line of sight at ear level.

(Ignore the image on the wall, it's just one of the projectors being used on the X-Box).
    http://www.vectra-sport.com/uploads/P1000053.JPG

3. gdunbar

gdunbar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I have been bitten by the upgrade bug and have now purchased a new Marantz SR5500 Amp and extra rear surrounds for a 7.1 system. In the process of setting it all up now.

I have decided to place the plasma in front of the bay window, which leaves the room in a perfect shape to place all my speakers. The two floorstanders sit either side of the bay window, with 2 side rears and two further rears on the back wall. My AV rack then sits nicely in the middle of the fireplace. The 3 seather will sit on the wall opposite the fireplace, with my single chair and footstool taking prime spot in the middle of it all!

I did think about mounting the plasma above the fireplace, but it is an old wooden fireplace and is quite high. The screen would be too far up the wall to be comfortable to view. I may rip out the old fireplace down the line and put in a new living flame gas fire, in which case I would be able to move the screen above.

Will take pics once everything has been finished, and post them up in the gallery.

Cheers

Gavin