Help with roman numerals/ font!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoomc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all :hiya:

Looking for some help with roman numerals and fonts.

I am going to be getting a tattoo of my sons date of birth in roman numerals. I am playing around with different fonts of: XVI VIII MMXI and quite like it in New Times Roman so far.
However, I would also like to see it "joined up" if you understand what I mean?
XVI for eg. in new times roman have the lines on top of every letter, but I have seen it where XVI lines on the top and bottom would join up... can anyone point me in the direction of the font (or download of font) that will show this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also- I cannot verify this enough... please tell me the date of birth of my son? (just so I know it is the correct date!!)

I am going to be getting a tattoo of my sons date of birth in roman numerals.
If I said what I think of that idea it would break AVF Rule 1.:thumbsdow
16 August 2011.

The only thing I will say is that isn't how the Romans wrote dates... I'm not sure if that is important to you or not though?

The only thing I will say is that isn't how the Romans wrote dates... I'm not sure if that is important to you or not though?

It's not really important no, but how would they have wrote it out of interest?

It's not really important no, but how would they have wrote it out of interest?

Well the problem you have is the Romans used the Julian calendar, so they would say "The Third Tuesday of August 2011" which would be something along the lines of "Dies Martis iii Avgvstvs (Augustus) MMXI".

The closest you can get to a translation to it for our calendar would be:

xvi AVG. MMXI

Lower case is generally used for the day, even though the romans did not use lower case. AVG comes from AVGVSTVS and the lack of a U in the alphabet. and then you have the date.

But I assume you'd rather opt for the standard numerals for numbers as it would look better :thumbsup:
And generally engravers/scribes would do their work to look good, I believe they used Js and Us instead of Is and Vs to make things look better...

Though I'm not expert so there may be some errors/misinformation there.

Well the problem you have is the Romans used the Julian calendar, so they would say "The Third Tuesday of August 2011" which would be something along the lines of "Dies Martis iii Avgvstvs (Augustus) MMXI".

The closest you can get to a translation to it for our calendar would be:

xvi AVG. MMXI

Lower case is generally used for the day, even though the romans did not use lower case. AVG comes from AVGVSTVS and the lack of a U in the alphabet. and then you have the date.

But I assume you'd rather opt for the standard numerals for numbers as it would look better :thumbsup:
And generally engravers/scribes would do their work to look good, I believe they used Js and Us instead of Is and Vs to make things look better...

Though I'm not expert so there may be some errors/misinformation there.

That's really interesting Iccz, thanks for taking the time to post that.
I will stick with the original idea though- as you said it looks better and will say the same thing, however it will be a merge of UK format with Roman Numerals.
I have seen on the internet that a load of people have the same thought as myself, but hey ho, I didn't copy, I just love the look and am more than happy to go ahead.

@Logiciel, I have re-read what I wrote and please don't think that post was meant rudely... it does look like that at first but that was not my intention.
Out of interest, what don't you like- the roman numerals or tattoos in general?

Go for a modern and universal appeal.....

screenshot2011120700455.png

:D

If I was going to do it, I'd rather have it the way it was originally intended. Why roman out of interest? Is there some sort of family connection or something or is it because you like the film gladiator? ;)
I vaguely knew a couple of white girls years ago who had some message written on their ankles, said something like best friends forever or something similary girly. They didn't know what language they'd had it written in. Eventually they remembered and it turned out to be bengali, but they only did it because they liked the way it looked, rather than any other reason. I thought that was pretty naff, but there were pretty naff birds to be fair.

If I was going to do it, I'd rather have it the way it was originally intended. Why roman out of interest? Is there some sort of family connection or something or is it because you like the film gladiator?

None of the above. I really like the look of roman numerals... it's not like we don't use it over here is this country... it is on just about every single clock!
Also it's not like I have put a language on me that I wont understand because it looks pretty, everyone should be able to understand it.

Not meaning to be an arsehole, just pulling your chain. Good luck with whatever you go for.

Not meaning to be an arsehole, just pulling your chain. Good luck with whatever you go for.

LOL, I know! no offence taken.
I really want one and have 100% made up my mind, but get a little bit sensitive when I think people are starting to wind me up as they are not into them (not directed at you) there just not some peoples thing so the general consensus is to tear into the people that are (again not aimed at you, but I thought you were away to go that way! :D )

Thanks for the good luck!

I haven't looked into that Iron, I may have a look over the course of the night. I am probably going to get it done tomorrow afternoon- I say probably, as it's just a walk in day and it is just first come first served and that's as good as I can get as the tattoo will just be a small one so no need for a booked appointment.

I'm really excited, this will be my first tattoo and I have been thinking about getting one for about 10 years, so I know I definitely want one! :thumbsup:

Good for you :)

Be careful of script fonts ,some are very hard to read :)

Cheers signs! :thumbsup:

Yeah have had a think, and my opening question on this thread no longer applies-
However, I would also like to see it "joined up" if you understand what I mean?
I am going to allow for a space in between the numerals as it is going to be a fairly small tattoo so would hate to see it all spread into 1 big mess a few years down the line. I am aware it will fade over time and will need a touch up, but don't think I would be able to rescue it quite as well if it all bleeds together :D

Talking of small tattoos I remember when my brother had a staffordshire Knott done on his arm .

It looked like a actual size Penn State pretzel :laugh:

Last edited:
Talking of small tattoos I remember when my brother had a staffordshire Knott done on his arm .

It looked like a actual size Penn State pretzel :laugh:

Lol!
What about yourself? Have you got any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom