Question Help with replacing my speaker cones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by sbanks2, Jul 21, 2019.

1. sbanks2

sbanks2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello
    I own a pair of Mission 733's. I love these speakers and I've owned them for a year. The only issue is the left side has obviously been exposed to sunlight at some point in its life as it has some pretty bad cracks and you can hear the noise when I have my music playing. The driver is a 73-LF58W. I'm now waiting on eBay to buy a replacement cone when one eventually pops up but does anyone know how you actually replace them, i see screws around the cones where they come out but do the wires need soldering or anything as I'm no good at that sort of stuff.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. Orobas

Orobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    It all depends if the bass driver was soldered or had clips on it.. you may have to get a soldering iron to swap. probably more than likely solder

3. sbanks2

sbanks2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll have to buy a Soldering iron then, is it easy to do?

4. Orobas

Orobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    yeap nice and easy. just ensure you make a note of the polarity of the cables and terminals before you solder. If you are not too sure.. youtube has some good vids on how to solder like this one..
    How to Solder and Some Soldering Tips
    for example .. if you are not too comfy with soldering..you can always crimp a pair of spade terminals to the speaker wire attach them that way

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,697
    Given you can replace the whole speaker for £80 (or less with a cheeky offer) plus petrol money is it worth the hassle. Keep the tweeter and crossovers from you old pair as spares. I am guessing the cones will be £20 plus £10 for new rubber surrounds and another £10 for dust caps plus time and effort (per speaker), it doesn't seem to stack up.

100W Mission 733 2-way stereo speakers - great condition with grills and spikes | eBay

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  6. Orobas

Orobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Wilmslow do the "black" drivers instead of the whites for £25 a pop Monacor SPM-165 8 Size 159x159mm

as for the replacement white... £60 + postage costs currently... on ebay Mission Bass Driver Woofer 73-LF58W/ fit 73 Series 732,733,734 and 735. | eBay

7. Costello

Costello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have a pair of Mission 731i speakers sitting in my garage. Would they share the same driver?

8. Orobas

Orobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I think the 731 had a 31-LF106 unit.. although MISSION 73-LF85/W does show as a generic model for the 731 732 734 735 so.. regarding the 733.. toss a coin

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,697
    There is a pair of 732 on eBay for a little less but not much, you would need to dismantle and replace so again probably not worth the hassle for £15.

10. sbanks2

sbanks2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would those Monacor units on Wilmslow audio sound as good as the right side? I could always just replace both sides as there is a tiny bit of cracks on the right side but they are hardly as bad as the left side. It would be £50 for both of those bass drivers, would those be good? I also contacted Mission and they said the drivers in the photos would be good replacements but the Wilmslow Audio Monacor SPM-165 look much better. Not too sure. How do those spade terminals work if i was to use them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
  11. Orobas

Orobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You wouldnt replace just the one... you always do them in pairs. but given the cost.. as Ugg10 mentioned ... you can pick up a decent 2nd hand pair of the Mission speakers for a few quid more. The Monacors are a much tighter sound than the mission's own drivers..

Spade terminals need to be crimped on the internal wires then they just push fit on the terminals.. but you need the right size.. make sure the spades dont open up and become a loose fit and so on lol

12. sbanks2

sbanks2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I'll pick up a Soldering iron and wait a bit for some cheaper drivers to come up secondhand on ebay, some have been sold for a steal by the looks of things when i looked at Completed listings!

13. sbanks2

sbanks2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I've researched it and the cracks have got worse on the speaker, the screws are way too tight and they will not come out so I won't be replacing the woofer, I will just be buying another pair of 733's. Someone has some up for sale locally for £49 and they have zero cracks so they will probably be better. I have also looked on Ebay. Speakers I've seen are Mission 701s', 702, 732 (Just a non floorstanding 733 i believe), 760i.
    Which of those would be better as I will replace, if not I'll just buy another pair of 733s and use the current ones as parts.