1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Replacing for B&W Dm601's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OllyH, Nov 22, 2003.

1. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My present Home cinema set up consists of a Panasonic DVD Recorder, Sony STR DB-1070 Amplifier, four B&W DM601's (S2) and a B&W Centre speaker (LCR3). I am really pleased with the set up but my wife is trying to persuade me to go for smaller speakers. I am looking to at least replace the surround speakers and have even looked at the picture frame style. Can anyone recommend small speakers that will sound great or at least close to my beloved B&W's.

Please help! :lesson: :lesson: :confused:

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take her out for a nice dinner,then brake the news your keeping the 601,if she refuses then sell her instead,there alot of speaker for ther money the 601,and they arnt that big!:

3. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought I'd get an answer like this. Maybe I should just keep 'em. Only thing is they aren't magnetically shielded so they're not ideal for front speakers in a small room.

4. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok, I've decided to keep them. I don't know if it's me being fussy but I never seem to get the rear channels sounding right. I have them on 2 ft eltax speaker stands fairly close to the back of the sofa. Do I need them higher? Or is there a minimum distance from my sofa? Any suggestions? I don't really like speaker brackets, unless there are some tidy ones out there!

Please help

5. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    olly,

2ft is pretty low down,i'd get them at ear height at least,try some atacama stands,you can have them fairly close to you.

Experiment with the 601,you'll know if there too close as you'll get green lines around the screen,move them away till the green line goes,you should have enough space.

6. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 601 s2 are just medium sized speakers but there are smaller alternatives out there which will outperform em for a little more money.The Dynaudio audience 42 in silveer look wuite nice and sound alot better than the 601 imho which are gr8 speakers in their own right.Theres also a 42W version which are designed for wall mounting.Another nice miniture speaker is the mission 780se,very small but awesome sonding speakers.All those will set u back at under £400.It might be a good idea to get the matching centre speakers too.

Zoolander:D

7. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the help SKA.face and zoolander. I have decided to keep my front speakers as they are and order some 100cm high atacama stands.

I stated earlier in the postings that I had Eltax stands, after checking they in fact altacama. Anyone want two 2ft Altacama's (Perfect condition).

8. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    One more question, does anyone have a view on the B&W LCR 3 sentre speaker. It doesn't seem to be in the same league as my DM601's

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    PeterTulley has posted that he's looking for some Nexus5's in another thread.

If they aren't the right ones for him I'm also on the lookout for some Atacamas if you're not too far away.

Where are you located?

10. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Lancaster - sorry, miles away from Kent!